Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sarah R Sarah R is offline

Default Unnatural outline numbering

In a legal document, I need to set outline numbering:

Heading 1 = I. [centered]
Heading 2 = A. [centered]
Heading 3 = 1 [at 0"]
Heading 4 = (a) [following Heading 3]

The kicker is that some paragraphs must have both Heading 3 and Heading 4
together, followed by typed text. For example:

1(a) xxxxxx
1(b) xxxxxx
2
3(a) xxxxxx
3(b) xxxxxx
3(c) xxxxxx

Word's Help clearly explains how to concatenate two levels of outline
numbering. I inserted a field, chose the Numbering category and ListNum
field name. Unfortunatley, none of the three Field Properties yields the
combination I need. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, MVP Dawn Crosier, MVP is offline

I think you will find this tutorial useful.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Sarah R" wrote in message
In a legal document, I need to set outline numbering:

Heading 1 = I. [centered]
Heading 2 = A. [centered]
Heading 3 = 1 [at 0"]
Heading 4 = (a) [following Heading 3]

The kicker is that some paragraphs must have both Heading 3 and Heading 4
together, followed by typed text. For example:

1(a) xxxxxx
1(b) xxxxxx
2
3(a) xxxxxx
3(b) xxxxxx
3(c) xxxxxx

Word's Help clearly explains how to concatenate two levels of outline
numbering. I inserted a field, chose the Numbering category and ListNum
field name. Unfortunatley, none of the three Field Properties yields the
combination I need. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sarah R Sarah R is offline

The part I was missing was naming the list (i.e., not just linking each level
to a style). The named list then shows up when you insert the field, so then
you can select the level of numbering to apply (in my example, it's level 4).
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, MVP Dawn Crosier, MVP is offline

Automatic Outline numbering can be VERY confusing, so it's easy to miss a
step or two. A recommendation that I would make, is before you get very far
along in your document, make sure you have each of the levels setup with
their proper indents, because sometimes when changing indents later in the
document, you can mess up earlier levels.

Good Luck!

--

"Sarah R" wrote in message
The part I was missing was naming the list (i.e., not just linking each
level
to a style). The named list then shows up when you insert the field, so
then
you can select the level of numbering to apply (in my example, it's level
4).
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that if you are using the LISTNUM fields strictly within
outline-numbered paragraphs, you don't need to name them; they will
reflect the list format applied by those paragraphs.

To change the numbering level of a field, you can right-click it and
choose Increase Indent or Decrease Indent from the context menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP