Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
xtine xtine is offline

Default Sharing documents with custom styles with other firms?

If I email a document that is based on custom styles to an external
firm what will they see? will the styles remain intact?

Also, if another firm sends a document to us and they have either the
built in styles or their own custom styles what will happen if I have
restricted the built-in styles to be hidden?

Christine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
xtine xtine is offline

On Apr 14, 11:17 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Seehttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/templaterelations/index.html

--

I see... so if I send a document to another firm they will see exactly
what we have sent including the styling, but when we get it back we

So for example...

if my letter, fax, memo, blank doc template all have a style ParaLevel
1 which is accessed by ctrl-alt-1 can I somehow keep the keystrokes in
a global template rather than in the letter, fax or memo templates -
because to apply those styles into an 'incoming' document the
keystrokes wouldn't be there even if the styles are as the incoming
document is no longer linked to a template?

Christine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article c35c4edd-b1c5-48f5-bcae-
,
says...
On Apr 14, 11:17 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Seehttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/templaterelations/index.html

--

I see... so if I send a document to another firm they will see exactly
what we have sent including the styling, but when we get it back we
won't have access to our shortcut keys etc. -

So for example...

if my letter, fax, memo, blank doc template all have a style ParaLevel
1 which is accessed by ctrl-alt-1 can I somehow keep the keystrokes in
a global template rather than in the letter, fax or memo templates -
because to apply those styles into an 'incoming' document the
keystrokes wouldn't be there even if the styles are as the incoming
document is no longer linked to a template?

Christine

Documents are not linked to a template. When the doc is created, the
contents of the template are copied into the doc and the doc is then
totally independent of the template. You can send the doc anywhere and
all the template stuff will go along.

This is not true of global templates, however. These are also (and more
accurately) called add-ins. An add-in is loaded into Word and is not
related to any particular document. The add-in can provide macros,
toolbars, and custom keystrokes that will be available for any and all
documents you edit. When you send a document, the stuff from the add-in
does not go along with it.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
xtine xtine is offline

This is not true of global templates, however. These are also (and more
accurately) called add-ins. Anadd-inis loaded into Word and is not
related to any particular document. Theadd-incan provide macros,
toolbars, and custom keystrokes that will be available for any and all
documents you edit. When you send a document, the stuff from theadd-in
does not go along with it.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writerswww.tech-word.com

Would it make sense to create an add-in that sets up the styles in a
template(or would it be the document?) - defining the styles,
keystrokes, the list-styles and the show/hide or should I simply set
them up in each template?

My thinking is that if I write code to create the styles then whenever
a new template is required there would be nothing to do with regard to
creating the styles.

Christine
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you create a template that contains the styles, you can then create new
templates based on that template. Although macros, toolbars, and keyboard
shortcuts can be stored in add-ins (which are just a kind of template), they
can equally well be stored in document templates.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Peter A" wrote in message
om...
In article 7c67f886-0646-4d85-a009-81eb3aef1558
@s33g2000pri.googlegroups.com, says...
If I email a document that is based on custom styles to an external
firm what will they see? will the styles remain intact?

Also, if another firm sends a document to us and they have either the
built in styles or their own custom styles what will happen if I have
restricted the built-in styles to be hidden?

Christine

Styles in a document will remain unchanged as long as the document was
not created based on the Normal.dot template. THis is true even if the
recipient has a template of the same name that you used to create the
document. If the document is based on Normal.dot, you may see changes if
either you or the recipient has modified the styles in Normal.dot (which
is why you should never do so).

Assuming that the "Automatically update document styles" option in the
Templates and Add-Ins dialog box is cleared, not even the Normal template
will affect the document styles. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
www.tech-word.com

Sharing custom and exclusion dictionaries msnews.microsoft.com Page Layout 0 October 4th 07 01:39 PM
Word 2007 - Sharing custom tab between 2 templates Krijn Michiels Microsoft Word Help 2 June 18th 07 08:00 AM
sharing styles hbear Page Layout 1 June 11th 07 07:19 PM
Sharing custom dictionaries across the network the friendly display name Microsoft Word Help 0 October 3rd 05 02:51 PM
Sharing a custom dictionary? Guy Microsoft Word Help 4 December 29th 04 09:29 AM