Quintin

Default Please add the correct spelling of gaol to your dictionary

Just a quick note: there is no english word "jail" it is spelled "gaol" yet
the office dictionary only accepts the incorrect spelling and marks the
correct spelling as incorrect. I have personally clicked "add to dictionary"
but i think it is important that the correct spelling is put into the
dictionary for all to use.

I know i sound pedantic in saying that but i think it is important that a
reputable application such as yours have the correct spelling for such
commonly used words.

Thanks guys, ps i love Office11!

Quintin
(office 11 technical beta tester)
Daiya Mitchell

It's in the dictionary (at least in my version). It's in the English (UK)
dictionary, just not the English (US) dictionary. If you need UK standards,
be sure to tag your text properly. You need to set up Word to use UK
English.

I would not consider gaol wrong in US English, but I would support Word
flagging it as 90% of the time it's likely to be a typo for goal. Jail,
however, is also correct in US English.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Jay Freedman

Quintin wrote:
Just a quick note: there is no english word "jail" it is spelled
"gaol" yet the office dictionary only accepts the incorrect spelling
and marks the correct spelling as incorrect. I have personally
clicked "add to dictionary" but i think it is important that the
correct spelling is put into the dictionary for all to use.

I know i sound pedantic in saying that but i think it is important
that a reputable application such as yours have the correct spelling
for such commonly used words.

Thanks guys, ps i love Office11!

Quintin
(office 11 technical beta tester)

Hi Quentin,

Can you provide any evidence for your assertion that "jail" is not a valid
English word? I find that www.dictionary.com quotes definitions for it in
four different dictionaries. Two of them define "gaol" as a variant of
"jail", not the other way around (although they clearly have an American
bias).

I agree that "gaol" should be in the main dictionary, but I wouldn't go so
far as to declare it "the correct spelling".

BTW, when you post here you are not addressing Microsoft. We're all
end-users here.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman