rreto rreto is offline
Junior Member

Default Change Text Format in Cross-References

I'm using cross-references in order to be able to have hyperlinks within my msw doc that are updatable. The thing is they don't look like common hyperlinks, because they aren't blue underlined pieces of text. So, what i want is to have cross-references text look like normal hyperlinks...I wonder if there is any way to achieve that, other that using macros.
Thanks in advance for any help.

rreto rreto is offline
Junior Member

Thanks Suzanne. This is not quite what I had in mind, because for an extensive document I'll have to create a Macro, but thanks anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill

You wouldn't need a macro exactly, just a Find and Replace (assuming all
your cross-references are hyperlinked):

1. Press Alt+F9 to display field codes.

2. Press Alt+H to open the Replace dialog.

3. In the "Find what" box, type ^19 REF

4. In the "Replace with" box, type ^&.

5. Click More to expand the dialog.

6. Make sure the insertion point is still in the "Replace with" box, then
click Format | Style, and select the Hyperlink style.

7. Replace All.

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:
You can apply the Hyperlink character style, but you'll have to do it
manually.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"rreto" wrote in message
...-

I'm using cross-references in order to be able to have hyperlinks
within
my msw doc that are updatable. The thing is they don't look like
common
hyperlinks, because they aren't blue underlined pieces of text. So,
what i want is to have cross-references text look like normal
hyperlinks...I wonder if there is any way to achieve that, other that
using macros.
Thanks in advance for any help.

--
rreto-

--
rreto

rreto rreto is offline
Junior Member

Great! This is a great way to resolve my problem. Thank you very much!

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:
You can apply the Hyperlink character style, but you'll have to do it
manually.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"rreto" wrote in message
...-

I'm using cross-references in order to be able to have hyperlinks
within
my msw doc that are updatable. The thing is they don't look like
common
hyperlinks, because they aren't blue underlined pieces of text. So,
what i want is to have cross-references text look like normal
hyperlinks...I wonder if there is any way to achieve that, other that
using macros.
Thanks in advance for any help.

--
rreto-

--
rreto

TOC and cross-reference hyperlinks do not have hyperlink formatting. If you
want them to look like Hyperlinks, you'll have to apply the Hyperlink
character style manually.

"rreto" wrote in message

Hi there! Unfortunately I'm not having success with your solution...I've
done what you suggested but still the text appears without the hyperlink
format. I've copied the reference and pasted it in a normal e-mail and
it had the correct formatting! I tried to do this in a new doc, but
still had no hyperlink format...I wonder if you have any suggestion to
workaround this?

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:
Glad I could help.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

...-

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:-
You wouldn't need a macro exactly, just a Find and Replace (assuming
all
your cross-references are hyperlinked):

1. Press Alt+F9 to display field codes.

2. Press Alt+H to open the Replace dialog.

3. In the "Find what" box, type ^19 REF

4. In the "Replace with" box, type ^&.

5. Click More to expand the dialog.

6. Make sure the insertion point is still in the "Replace with" box,
then
click Format | Style, and select the Hyperlink style.

7. Replace All.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

...-

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:-
You can apply the Hyperlink character style, but you'll have to do
it
manually.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org