Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John in Riverbank John in Riverbank is offline

Default Footers staying within one line

Hello All,
I've got a problem with footers. It seems (from the best I can tell) that a
footer will not automatically compress itself to one line. What I mean: The
footer contains address (left side of footer) and copyright information
(right side of footer). The address might be long enough to push the footer
to two lines. We'd normally delete spaces between the two items but I've
been asked if the footer will do it automatically. Can it?

Many thanks,
John
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Instead of using spaces, use the built-in tab stops. If you will not have
anything in the center, delete the center tab stop so that only the right
stop at the right margin remains. Type the address, Tab once, and type the
copyright information.

"John in Riverbank" wrote in
message ...
Hello All,
I've got a problem with footers. It seems (from the best I can tell) that

footer will not automatically compress itself to one line. What I mean:

The
footer contains address (left side of footer) and copyright information
(right side of footer). The address might be long enough to push the

footer
to two lines. We'd normally delete spaces between the two items but I've
been asked if the footer will do it automatically. Can it?

Many thanks,
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John in Riverbank John in Riverbank is offline

That could work, but the address and copyright info is already in place so it
doesn't have to be typed. We have a dummy address in place that gets
selected and retyped with the new address - that's when the two line issue
appears (if the address is long enough. If the address is short, it could
also shorten the line enough that we have to add spaces).

Do we set up some kind of justify right for this?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you want the address on the left and the copyright info on the left, you
follow the directions I provided: Type the address, press Tab once, and type
the copyright info. If you have deleted the center tab stop in the header
paragraph, the only tab stop left will be the right tab stop at the right
margin, and the copyright info will go there.

"John in Riverbank" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Instead of using spaces, use the built-in tab stops. If you will not

have
anything in the center, delete the center tab stop so that only the

right
stop at the right margin remains. Type the address, Tab once, and type

the
copyright information.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"John in Riverbank" wrote in
message ...
Hello All,
I've got a problem with footers. It seems (from the best I can tell)

that
footer will not automatically compress itself to one line. What I

mean:
The
footer contains address (left side of footer) and copyright

information
(right side of footer). The address might be long enough to push the

footer
to two lines. We'd normally delete spaces between the two items but

I've
been asked if the footer will do it automatically. Can it?

Many thanks,
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sarah R Sarah R is offline

John,

If I understand your question correctly, you need two areas of info in the
footer: (1) the address and (2) the copyright. The address text may be long
enough to take up more than 1 line, but you want it to truncate to (a) just 1
line and (b) before the right side of that line, where the copyright info
goes.

If so, insert a 2-column, 1-row table into the footer. Adjust the column
widths so that the left (i.e., address) column is (presumably) much wider
than the right column. (You probably also want the right column to be
right-aligned.) Select the entire table then set Table Table Properties
Borders button None. For the address column, set Table Table Properties
Row tab Specify Row Height to 0.02" (works for a single line of text with

12 pt Times New Roman; test for other fonts/font sizes) and set Row Height to
"Exactly." This will "lock" the address column to displaying just 1 line of
text, no matter how much text is actually there.

Is that what you needed?

-- Sarah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John in Riverbank John in Riverbank is offline

Okay, here's the real problem:
I was told two-line footers were showing up everywhere in the document, but
in reality (after my own inspection of the report), one page that gets
inserted via AutoText ends up having a footer that doesn't have the same
width as the other footers; it's missing about a half inch on the left,
pushing the text in the footer to two lines. I have other issues with these
inserted pages (they're too deep for me at this time) but I can usually solve
them. This little footer problem on the one page is tough. Can it be solved?

Many thanks,
John

"Sarah R" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm

"John in Riverbank" wrote in
message ...

"Sarah R" wrote:

[...]

double window envelope tpdebronsky Page Layout 5 May 18th 23 08:51 PM
Line number Darius Microsoft Word Help 5 February 20th 06 11:00 AM
Bullets/numbers will not indent after first line Greg Microsoft Word Help 2 August 9th 05 12:43 AM
Uneven Footers Waking Page Layout 2 June 19th 05 05:20 AM
Pleadings - Line Numbering aligning with text GregBausman Page Layout 3 April 25th 05 05:10 AM