Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
H_orror H_orror is offline

Default Creating a new language in Word

When writing in Microsoft Word, I occasionally write strings of text in a
fictional language that I created. These words show up as spelling errors. I
know of course that I can simply add these words to the word list, if I
wanted to get rid of all the unpleasant red lines, but I don't want to shove
my wordlist full of nonsense-words, either. So I was wondering if it was
possible to create a new fake language to select from the laguages menu, with
a separate word list, in which to store all the fictional words?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

"H_orror" wrote

When writing in Microsoft Word, I occasionally write strings of text in a
fictional language that I created. These words show up as spelling errors.
know of course that I can simply add these words to the word list, if I
wanted to get rid of all the unpleasant red lines, but I don't want to
shove
my wordlist full of nonsense-words, either. So I was wondering if it was
possible to create a new fake language to select from the laguages menu,
with
a separate word list, in which to store all the fictional words?

You have two options:

1. Create a separate dictionary (extension .dic) containing those words
2. Create an exceptions list (extension .exc) containing those words.

So far as I know, creating a new dictionary for another language (say
"Elvish") is not something to be undertaken by the fainthearted.

--
Bob, who's still looking for a Word-compatible Latin dictionary
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sarah R Sarah R is offline

So far as I know, creating a new dictionary for another language (say
"Elvish") is not something to be undertaken by the fainthearted.

Yes, one's native language does tend to shine through despite one's best
efforts!
-- Sarah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Option 2 will not work. An .exc files is not an "exceptions" list but an
exclusion dictionary; every word in it (even if it is a correctly spelled
word) will be marked as incorrect; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

A third option is to create a character style defined as "Default Paragraph
Font+Do not check spelling or grammar." Apply this to the words you don't
want spell-checked.

"Opinicus" wrote in message
"H_orror" wrote

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote

Option 2 will not work. An .exc files is not an "exceptions" list but an
exclusion dictionary; every word in it (even if it is a correctly spelled
word) will be marked as incorrect; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

Oops... (What was I thinking? / What? Was I thinking?)
;-)

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
H_orror H_orror is offline

It could be done as easy as creating a new textfile containing all words
(separated by spaces or whatever) that are not to show up as incorrect when I
type them. This wordlist could have the extention .lan and it would be
possible to select it amongst all the other languages in the languages menu.
Oh how marvellous life would be with a customizable Microsoft Word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

"Opinicus" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote

Option 2 will not work. An .exc files is not an "exceptions" list but an
exclusion dictionary; every word in it (even if it is a correctly

spelled
word) will be marked as incorrect; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

Oops... (What was I thinking? / What? Was I thinking?)
;-)

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you are describing is a .lex file, but I don't think ordinary mortals
can create those.

"H_orror" wrote in message
It could be done as easy as creating a new textfile containing all words
(separated by spaces or whatever) that are not to show up as incorrect

when I
type them. This wordlist could have the extention .lan and it would be
possible to select it amongst all the other languages in the languages

menu.
Oh how marvellous life would be with a customizable Microsoft Word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Opinicus" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote

Option 2 will not work. An .exc files is not an "exceptions" list

but an
exclusion dictionary; every word in it (even if it is a correctly

spelled
word) will be marked as incorrect; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

Oops... (What was I thinking? / What? Was I thinking?)
;-)

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote

What you are describing is a .lex file, but I don't think ordinary mortals
can create those.

Among the "ordinary mortals" are the "fainthearted", of which I spoke...

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
H_orror H_orror is offline

Among the "ordinary mortals" are the "fainthearted", of which I spoke...

Well, I've always been a man of ambitions. Quite extraordinar for a mortal,
and with a heart originally designed to pump molten rock. What demon should I
summon to grant me access to this file of which you speak, Susanne?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The problem, I think, is that each lexicon (.lex file) is assigned a
language ID. For example, 1033 is the ID for English. As others have pointed
out, however, you can easily create a .dic file, which accomplishes the same
thing. It's a simple text file, which can be created in Notepad (you can
actually create the list in Word and paste it into Notepad or save it as
text). Once you give it the .dic file extension, you can install it as a
dictionary file in Word. You can have as many .dic files loaded as you like,
though only one at a time can be the default. All this means is that, when
you choose "Add to dictionary" for a "misspelled" word, the current default
..dic file is the one to which it will be added. And of course, if you want
to use only the custom one, you can temporarily unload the others (though I
don't think there's any way to unload the basic .lex file).

If you explore Tools | Options | Spelling & Grammar: Custom Dictionaries,
you will quickly see how this works.