Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Viking Viking is offline

Default How do I globally turn off hyperlink formatting?

I have a document with a large number of hyperlinks in it. I wish to turn
off the hyperlink formatting globally. I know how to do this on individual
links, but not how to do the entire document at one time.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

Had the same problem myself.

Try the following:

Sub ChangeHyperlinkField()
Dim iFld As Integer
Dim strCodes As String
Selection.HomeKey
strCodes = ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = True
For iFld = ActiveDocument.Fields.Count To 1 Step -1
With ActiveDocument.Fields(iFld)
.Unlink
End With
Next iFld
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = strCodes
End Sub

Hope it helps.
--
Brian McCaffery

"Viking" wrote:

I have a document with a large number of hyperlinks in it. I wish to turn
off the hyperlink formatting globally. I know how to do this on individual
links, but not how to do the entire document at one time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

PS.

Thank Graham Mayor for the code.
--
Brian McCaffery

"Viking" wrote:

I have a document with a large number of hyperlinks in it. I wish to turn
off the hyperlink formatting globally. I know how to do this on individual
links, but not how to do the entire document at one time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

The macro above will unlink _all_ types of fields (cross-references, TOC,
etc.). To prevent this and unlink only hyperlinks, replace:

.delete

by

If .Type = wdFieldHyperlink Then
.Unlink
End If

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Viking" wrote:

I have a document with a large number of hyperlinks in it. I wish to turn
off the hyperlink formatting globally. I know how to do this on individual
links, but not how to do the entire document at one time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mandarin Mandarin is offline

Surely this would be easier - from Word Help

Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Word Options.
Click Proofing.
Click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
Select the Internet and network paths with hyperlinks check box.

Mike

"Viking" wrote:

I have a document with a large number of hyperlinks in it. I wish to turn
off the hyperlink formatting globally. I know how to do this on individual
links, but not how to do the entire document at one time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Changing the settings in "Autoformat As You Type" will not affect existing
text - it only affects text you type after changing the settings. Therefore,
the existing hyperlinks will not be changed to normal text even if you turn
off "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks").

---
Regards
Lene Fredborg
DocTools - Denmark
www.thedoctools.com

"Viking" wrote:

I have a document with a large number of hyperlinks in it. I wish to turn
off the hyperlink formatting globally. I know how to do this on individual
links, but not how to do the entire document at one time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Mike,

The AutoFormatting will convert plain text into hyperlinks, but it won't
remove hyperlinks that already exist. That's what the code does.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Viking" wrote:

I have a document with a large number of hyperlinks in it. I wish
to turn off the hyperlink formatting globally. I know how to do
this on individual links, but not how to do the entire document at
one time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

When you go to the AutoFormat taab and uncheck Internet and network paths
with hyperlinks, how does that play in vs. unchecking the same box in
AutoFormat as you Type?

Arlene

"Viking" wrote:

I have a document with a large number of hyperlinks in it. I wish
to turn off the hyperlink formatting globally. I know how to do
this on individual links, but not how to do the entire document at
one time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

AutoFormat As You Type settings are applied automatically as you type;
AutoFormat settings are applied when you manually run the AutoFormat command
in Word. (Note that the AutoFormat command is not available by default in
Word 2007, but you can add it to the Quick Access Toolbar, if you want to
use it. See the "Where is the AutoFormat feature?" help topic.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi Mike,

The AutoFormatting will convert plain text into hyperlinks, but it won't
remove hyperlinks that already exist. That's what the code does.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so
all may benefit.

"Viking" wrote:

I have a document with a large number of hyperlinks in it. I wish
to turn off the hyperlink formatting globally. I know how to do
this on individual links, but not how to do the entire document at
one time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As far as I can tell, Brian's code does nothing but unlinks all fields in
the main body of the document; this is not necessarily desirable (since
fields are also used for certain types of numbering, tables of contents, and
cross-references in Word).

Besides, unlinking all fields (if that is what you want) can be done more
easily with built-in commands: Ctrl+A (to select all) and then Ctrl+Shift+F9
(to unlink all fields).

For more useful answers, see the "Remove all Hyperlinks from document"
thread in this newsgroup.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP