Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barry

Default Help! Converting .doc to .htm loses bullets

Hi:

I have a .doc file (actually many of them) and they use a common
template file. I have formatted almost everything using styles.

When I look at my .doc files in word (word 2000 in an XP
environment) I see the bulleted text (that I made bulleted by using the
List Bullet style.

The problem is when I convert to HTML or compact HTML. I lose the
bullets (the text is there, but the bullets are gone from the Web view.
This also happens when I do a web page preview. The text is there,
but the bullets are missing.

I think there is something wrong with my template file. When I
create a sample list bullet using Normal.dot and do a web view it does
show the bullets.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing incorrectly. Please remember
that my own template does show the bullets when in .doc view.

Thank you,

Barry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barry

Default Help! Converting .doc to .htm loses bullets: Update

Hi:

I changed some things and the bullets come out tiny. I have modified
them to be symbol of larger size.

So looking at this in web preview and it looks OK.

So things sorted themselves out.

There will be other problems... I hope you're around to help.

All the best,

Barry

Barry wrote:
Hi:

I have a .doc file (actually many of them) and they use a common
template file. I have formatted almost everything using styles.

When I look at my .doc files in word (word 2000 in an XP environment)
I see the bulleted text (that I made bulleted by using the List Bullet
style.

The problem is when I convert to HTML or compact HTML. I lose the
bullets (the text is there, but the bullets are gone from the Web view.
This also happens when I do a web page preview. The text is there,
but the bullets are missing.

I think there is something wrong with my template file. When I
create a sample list bullet using Normal.dot and do a web view it does
show the bullets.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing incorrectly. Please remember that
my own template does show the bullets when in .doc view.

Thank you,

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Barry:

Once you get your file into HTML, take a look at the Style sheet that Word
writes up the top of the file. That's where your problem is.

Normally, I would delete the entire Style element and attach a CSS style
sheet at that point.

Cheers

Barry wrote:
[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410