Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
krowlan krowlan is offline

Default Lines per inch

How can I translate pt into lines per inch
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Lines per inch

To convert point size (pt) to lines per inch, follow these steps:
  1. Determine the font size of your text. This is usually measured in points (pt). For example, if your font size is 12pt, write down "12".
  2. Determine the leading of your text. This is the amount of space between lines of text and is also measured in points. For example, if your leading is 14pt, write down "14".
  3. Add the font size and leading together. In our example, 12pt + 14pt = 26pt.
  4. Divide 72 (the number of points in an inch) by the total number of points (font size + leading) to get the number of lines per inch. In our example, 72 ÷ 26 = 2.77 lines per inch.

So, if your font size is 12pt and your leading is 14pt, your text has a density of approximately 2.77 lines per inch.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

krowlan wrote:
How can I translate pt into lines per inch

It isn't necessarily simple.

For most fonts, Word adds about 20% to the "nominal" point size of the font
for the space between the lines (called "leading"). So the space between
baselines is 12 points for 10 pt text in single-spaced Times New Roman,
Arial, Tahoma, and similar fonts. The space between baselines for 12 pt text
is 14 points, and so forth.

One inch is 72 points. So you can divide the baseline spacing into 72 to get
the number of lines per inch: 10 pt type will be 72/12 = 6 lines per inch,
while 12 pt type will be 72/14 = 5.1 lines per inch (approximately).

Exceptions:
The 20% rule doesn't necessarily hold for "headline" or "display" fonts such
as Algerian. If the text contains occasional larger characters, super- or
subscript characters, inline graphics or the like, the line spacing will
expand to accommodate them unless the paragraph formatting is set to an
exact line spacing. Double or triple spacing (or other multiples) will alter
the formula accordingly. Paragraph formatting of Space Before or Space After
must be taken into account. It's rarely used, but it's possible to have Word
do vertical justification.

Read http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm for more info.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

If you offer some degree of detail about what you are trying to accomplish -
as well as what version of Word you're using - perhaps someone could offer
meaningful information.

Lines per inch is a matter of commercial printer resolution & has nothing to
do with word processing. It doesn't directly translate to points for any
valid purpose of discussion here.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"krowlan" wrote in message
news
How can I translate pt into lines per inch

how to set margin in inch HML Microsoft Word Help 4 June 10th 08 03:20 AM
How Many Lines/Inch for Various Font Sizes? TomBk Microsoft Word Help 1 May 15th 06 05:32 PM
How Many Lines/Inch for Various Font Sizes? TomBk Microsoft Word Help 1 May 15th 06 05:25 PM
2.67 Inch Margins SOF Guy Page Layout 1 April 18th 05 05:05 PM
Printing two 5.5x8.5 inch pages side by side on one 8.5x11 inch pa Dean Cameron Microsoft Word Help 1 March 23rd 05 12:07 AM