Robert McN

Default Item in Table of Contents throw off numbering

Two questions: I am writing a multi-chapter dissertation using a "master
document" to organize a collection of files. The first few sections of the
document are not chapters; they include, for example, a table of contents, a
preface, etc. My heading #1 uses a numbered outline and is customized so it
automatically reads, Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. I put, the words "table of
contents" in Heading #1 as well, but I removed numbered outline, so it did
not read "Chapter X." Unfortunately, when I went to print the document,
(about 120 pages) Word automatically added the Heading title back in for the
Table of Contents and renumbered all the subsequent chapters so that all the
number throughout the document is wrong. So decided to apply a "normal"
style to the "Table of Contents" line heading and then tried to use a field
code "TC" hoping that it would apper as an element in my table of contents
without throwing the numbering off for the rest of the document. While all
the subsequent chapters did revert to the appropriate numbering, the item
"Table of Content" no longer appers as an item listed in the table of of
contents. Is there some way to have items like "Table of Content," "Preface"
appear in the table of content without having them mess up the numbering for
the remander of the document?
Secondly, the justification of the table of contents gets messed up if
the headers are too long. Is there some way I can have long headers without
them ruining the justification in the table of contents.
Thanks very much for you help. Bob

Make a separate heading style for your TOC head. It can be based on Heading
1 (without the numbering) or just look like it, but change the outline level
to Body Text so it won't be included in the TOC (it absolutely should not be
included; this would be nonsensical). For your preface, use a Heading 1
clone that *is* set to Level 1.

You can make long headings wrap by setting the right indent of the TOC
styles to the left of the right tab stop where the page numbers will appear.

"Robert McN" wrote in message
[...]

Daiya Mitchell

When you say "master document", do you mean Word's Master Document function?

If so, see:

Why Master Documents corrupt:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

Steve Hudson [Word Heretic] on how to make Master Documents work safely:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...dhomepage.html

See also this thread for useful links on long documents in Word:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...management/bro
wse_thread/thread/2d8b8c7426e9c39d/593dce2e73b24705

On 1/24/05 6:13 PM, "Robert McN" wrote:

[...]

Robert McN

Both your suggestions were very helpful. Thanks very much. Regarding your
suggestion about the tabs, could you give me a little more specifics about
how to do it? Right now there are no tabs set and I'm confused as to how
one would distinguish the tabs for the numbers and those for the headings.
Thanks very much.
Bob

"Robert McN" wrote in message
[...]

When you create a TOC, Word automatically sets a right tab stops at the
right margin. It does this dynamically; the TOC styles do not have tab stops
by default. If you're using numbering of any sort, you'll likely get another
tab stop somewhere close to the left side, or there will be a tab stop where
the hanging indent is (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCJasonTabs.htm).

With regard to wrapping the text, however, what you need to know is that in
Word you can have tab stops beyond the right indent of the paragraph (even
beyond the right margin of the page). Unlike WordPerfect, Word doesn't wrap
tabs to the next line. So you can apply a right indent to your TOC style
that will cause your text to wrap short of the page numbers and still allow
the page numbers themselves to be at the right margin.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make a separate heading style for your TOC head. It can be based on

Heading
1 (without the numbering) or just look like it, but change the outline

level
to Body Text so it won't be included in the TOC (it absolutely should

not be
included; this would be nonsensical). For your preface, use a Heading 1
clone that *is* set to Level 1.

You can make long headings wrap by setting the right indent of the TOC
styles to the left of the right tab stop where the page numbers will

appear.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.