Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aixlachaise

Default Combining two Word documents

I have two seperate Word documents, one is 21 pages long (Doc A) and the
other is 9 pages long (Doc B). Both have alot of screen shots. They were
documents that someone else had created, and I came in to reformat and add to
them.

I want to add Doc B on to the end of Doc A, as they are two seperate
sections of one manual. However, when I try to copy and paste Doc B on to Doc
A, Doc B loses the formatting and reverts to a sort of frankenstein
combination of the orignal document and the changes I have made.

I have tried compare and merge, as well as paste special... they both
delivered the exact same results as straight forward copy and paste.

Any help would be very much appreciated, I'm at my wits end and I really
can't stomach the thought of redoing days of work. Thanks in advance...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale

Have you tried Insert | File? Position the cursor at the end of Doc A, and
then Insert|File and select Doc B.

A section break between the two documents might also allow you to retain the
formatting, but also look for the little tag that allows you to accept the
formatting or keep as in original document. Hope this helps.
--
Rae Drysdale

"Aixlachaise" wrote:

I have two seperate Word documents, one is 21 pages long (Doc A) and the
other is 9 pages long (Doc B). Both have alot of screen shots. They were
documents that someone else had created, and I came in to reformat and add to
them.

I want to add Doc B on to the end of Doc A, as they are two seperate
sections of one manual. However, when I try to copy and paste Doc B on to Doc
A, Doc B loses the formatting and reverts to a sort of frankenstein
combination of the orignal document and the changes I have made.

I have tried compare and merge, as well as paste special... they both
delivered the exact same results as straight forward copy and paste.

Any help would be very much appreciated, I'm at my wits end and I really
can't stomach the thought of redoing days of work. Thanks in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aixlachaise

I did try the Insert File, and the section break but unfortunately the
results were the same as before. I couldn't find any tag allowing me to
accept the formatting or keep the original document... looks like I may be
stuck reformatting.

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

"Aixlachaise" wrote:

I have two seperate Word documents, one is 21 pages long (Doc A) and the
other is 9 pages long (Doc B). Both have alot of screen shots. They were
documents that someone else had created, and I came in to reformat and add to
them.

I want to add Doc B on to the end of Doc A, as they are two seperate
sections of one manual. However, when I try to copy and paste Doc B on to Doc
A, Doc B loses the formatting and reverts to a sort of frankenstein
combination of the orignal document and the changes I have made.

I have tried compare and merge, as well as paste special... they both
delivered the exact same results as straight forward copy and paste.

Any help would be very much appreciated, I'm at my wits end and I really
can't stomach the thought of redoing days of work. Thanks in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
A Kidner

It may be a sledge hammer to crack a nut, and it might not work for you, but
I have had some success joining documents containing screenshots using the
Berry-Hart Doc-U-Merge. Its a free download from www.doc-u-merge.co.uk .
If you havent already sorted the problem manually it could be worth a quick
try.