Á÷À˵ÄË«Óã

Default How to protect a doc?

I know that a doc can be protected from being
modified by setting a password.But others
who can't modify the doc can copy the content
of the doc to other doc.Is there a way to forbid
the copying?

Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

You should, perhaps, be aware that passwords can be cracked VERY easily so
although they may deter a casual visitor they would not deter a determined
visitor.

I'm afraid that, in this day-and-age it is necessary to take security very
seriously. It can be argued that, in terms of security if not in any other
respect, paranoia is a good thing. The only really safe computer is one
which is not connected to the internet and without a floppy disk drive, CD
drive or DVD drive. Secure but rather limiting in usefulness. Like all
things in life security is a compromise!

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Á÷À˵ÄË«Óã" wrote in message
I know that a doc can be protected from being
modified by setting a password.But others
who can't modify the doc can copy the content
of the doc to other doc.Is there a way to forbid
the copying?

Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

Amedee Van Gasse

Á÷À˵ÄË«Óã shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

I know that a doc can be protected from being
modified by setting a password.But others
who can't modify the doc can copy the content
of the doc to other doc.Is there a way to forbid
the copying?

Then they will just print it, scan the printout, and OCR it back to a
digital format.

If you don't want the others copying a document, use a watermark like
"CONFIDENTIAL", and make them sign a legally binding non-disclosure
agreement.
Please consult your local landshark, IANAL.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
Charles Kenyon

You can protect it as an online form, as well. This prevents copying
directly. It is also trivially easy to circumvent. If someone can read your
document, they can copy it, using a pencil and paper if necessary.
Converting to .pdf provides a modicum more security, but it can still be
read.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Á÷À˵ÄË«Óã" wrote in message
I know that a doc can be protected from being
modified by setting a password.But others
who can't modify the doc can copy the content
of the doc to other doc.Is there a way to forbid
the copying?

Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

You can purchase Adobe Acrobat (not sure if Standard will do it but Pro
will). You can create a .pdf form that cannot be copied, printed, or several
other options. The only thing you can do is a screen shot. Sure, that too
could be worked backwards to an editable .doc but whew!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Á÷À˵ÄË«Óã" wrote in message
I know that a doc can be protected from being
modified by setting a password.But others
who can't modify the doc can copy the content
of the doc to other doc.Is there a way to forbid
the copying?

Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

Amedee Van Gasse

Gilles Desjardins shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

JoAnn I have news for you. A PDF file can be cracked. Check out
Elcomsoft.com

*any* technology can be cracked by superior technology, and technology
keeps evolving in pace with Moore's Law.

Therefor you should not seek protection through technology but
protection through policy. Technology should only be used to affirm or
enforce an already existing policy, not to replace it. Don't think of
technology as a Holy Grail, it's only a tool, nothing more.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Good point. Unfortunately people seem to view security measures as a
personal challenge rather than a means of personal protection.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Can't protect my form BCBC Tables 2 May 17th 05 09:18 PM
Word 2003 document protect confusion ChristineP Microsoft Word Help 1 April 22nd 05 06:27 AM
WordML : protect my tags Frenchy Microsoft Word Help 1 April 20th 05 04:01 PM
protect form sections only with objects in other sections cmath Microsoft Word Help 1 April 9th 05 05:31 PM
All I want to do is protect my Word document. Why is XP so diffe. I Hate Computers Microsoft Word Help 3 January 13th 05 09:56 PM