Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeannine Jeannine is offline

Default Put cell values in a Word document

I don't know what newsgroup I should direct this question, so I'll start
here.

I have a Word document that I want to link up with data from an Excel
spreadsheet. For instance, say I have a sentence in a Word document like:
Last quarter the foreclosure rate fell by ____ basis points to ____ percent.
I want to fill in the blanks by using specific cells in a spreadsheet.

The data will change every month, so I thought I could automate the process
instead of keying it into the Word document. I don't know if I can even do
such a thing, let alone how do it.

Thanks for your help or directing me to the proper newsgroup. Jeannine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Here's one way to do it (there are others):

- In Excel, select one of the cells you want to show in Word. Copy to the
clipboard.
- Switch to the Word document. Put the cursor where you want the value to
appear.
- Click Edit Paste Special.
- In the dialog, click the Link option button and select "Unformatted text"
in the list.
- Click OK.
- Repeat the preceding steps for each of the other cells.

This is a live link. When you change the value in the cell in Excel, the
value shown in Word will change. If you have the Word document open but not
Excel, right-click the value in Word and choose Linked Worksheet Object
Edit Link to open Excel to the corresponding cell.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman