Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Tortorelli Jim Tortorelli is offline

Default What causes "OLE_LINK" bookmarks?

Sometimes I go to insert a bookmark and find there are one to a dozen
bookmarks with names like "OLE_LINK2" already in the document that I did not
intentionally put there.

Were did they come from?
Can I delete them?

Thanks,

Jim T

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

They are a by-product of copying and pasting between documents, or from a
document to another application like Excel. You can delete them unless you
pasted an actual link (using Edit PasteSpecial and check 'Paste link'). To
understand what's going on, create two documents. Add some text to the
first, copy it, switch to the second and paste it as a link. Now press
Alt-F9 to display field codes in the second document. You'll see something
like

{ LINK Word.Document "Document1" "OLE_LINK1" }

That is, the field in document2 is displaying the contents of the bookmark
OLE_LINK1 in document1.