Jim Robinson Jr.

Default Feature Request: Grammar/Spell - better controls for business nee

I heavily use the Grammer functions to sanity check my own writing, but find
it frustrating when the rules are not correctly applied or do not make sense
in the current context due to industry language, company & product names,
acronyms, etc.

Example 1: When writing about an Information Security Management System
(abbreviated as ISMS) the correct usage is "an ISMS". However the grammar
checking function assumes that the word typed is a pleural version of ISM and
flags that structure as incorrect. I can right-click and choose "ignore
once", but this is a common phrase in my writing and I want it ignored
*every* time.

Example 2: I work for a software company whose primary product line
generates a multitude of perceived spelling errors. The suite name is two
characters (both lowercase) followed by a dash then a word in proper case
(eg. xx-Example). Capitalization in the middle of the word can be ignored,
but the leading lowercase cannot, particulary when the product name is used
at the beginning of a sentence... which happens frequently.

Office 2003 has excellent features, including the grammar and spelling, but
needs more flexibility for me as an end user to give it exceptions and even
add my own rules for processing specific scenarios.

Jim

Daiya Mitchell

Um, I think it has quite a bit of flexibility. You just haven't taken
advantage of it. Look up Custom Dictionary and Exclude Dictionary in Help.
If you add ISMS to your custom dictionary, Word will ignore it every time.

Also see Tools | Options, Spelling and Grammar tab, click on Settings for a
dialog that gives you more grammar options, about which rules get enforced.

Also investigate setting your own AutoCorrect entries.

I will admit that I have not managed to stop Word capitalizing when I start
a sentence with iPod, so you may still run into problems with xx-Example.

On 12/20/04 2:17 PM, "Jim Robinson Jr." wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Whoops, misread question...
DM