Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lamb Chop Lamb Chop is offline

Default how to prevent some text drops into another line.

I have a sentense like this:

bah bah bah bah... bah CO2=3*10^-2 bah bah bah

where ^-2 is in superscript

The problem is that the line just ended exactly between the -2. The 2
dropped into the next line.

How can I prevent word separate the line at this point other than using
formula?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Use a non-breaking hyphen (Ctrl+Shift+_) for the -

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Lamb Chop" wrote in message
I have a sentense like this:

bah bah bah bah... bah CO2=3*10^-2 bah bah bah

where ^-2 is in superscript

The problem is that the line just ended exactly between the -2. The 2
dropped into the next line.

How can I prevent word separate the line at this point other than using
formula?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lamb Chop Lamb Chop is offline

Thanks Doug

Just another question if you don't mind. If it does not contain the minu
sign. such as

bah bah bah bah... bah CO2=3*10^2 bah bah bah

where ^2 is in superscript

what can I do to prevent the 2 drop to anther line?

"Lamb Chop" wrote in message
I have a sentense like this:

bah bah bah bah... bah CO2=3*10^-2 bah bah bah

where ^-2 is in superscript

The problem is that the line just ended exactly between the -2. The 2
dropped into the next line.

How can I prevent word separate the line at this point other than using
formula?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

What you have here is a series of figures, which should not be split at the
end of a line. That is, there is no more reason for Word to split 10^2
(where ^2 represents superscript) than to split 102. Now if you actually
have this:

CO2 = 3 * 10^2

with spaces, and you don't want to split at the spaces, then use a
nonbreaking space (Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar). If CO2 represents carbon dioxide,
presumably the 2 is subscripted, but it also won't split.

Word should never arbitrarily split a series of alphanumeric characters
except at a space or hyphen (hard or optional) unless (a) the series is too
long for the line or (b) you've inserted a no-width optional break. If it is
doing this, then the document may well be corrupt.

"Lamb Chop" wrote in message
I have a sentense like this:

bah bah bah bah... bah CO2=3*10^-2 bah bah bah

where ^-2 is in superscript

The problem is that the line just ended exactly between the -2. The 2
dropped into the next line.

How can I prevent word separate the line at this point other than

using
formula?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lamb Chop Lamb Chop is offline

Thanks Suzanne, you solved my curiosity.

Man

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What you have here is a series of figures, which should not be split at

the
end of a line. That is, there is no more reason for Word to split 10^2
(where ^2 represents superscript) than to split 102. Now if you actually
have this:

CO2 = 3 * 10^2

with spaces, and you don't want to split at the spaces, then use a
nonbreaking space (Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar). If CO2 represents carbon dioxide,
presumably the 2 is subscripted, but it also won't split.

Word should never arbitrarily split a series of alphanumeric characters
except at a space or hyphen (hard or optional) unless (a) the series is

too
long for the line or (b) you've inserted a no-width optional break. If it

is
doing this, then the document may well be corrupt.

so
all may benefit.