Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rokcet Scientist Rokcet Scientist is offline

Default mailto: hyperlink syntax to embed a subject line?

Is there a mailto: syntax or switch that would let me not only launch a
pre-addressed email, but also specify a desired subject line?

example: click HERE to launch an email to with "Support
Request" as the subject of the email.

Thanks -
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know whether Word honors the syntax or not, but I have links in
FrontPage such as ?subject=Busines s
Inquiry, so you might try that. In your example, it would be
?subject=Support Request.

"Rokcet Scientist" wrote in
message ...
Is there a mailto: syntax or switch that would let me not only launch a
pre-addressed email, but also specify a desired subject line?

example: click HERE to launch an email to with "Support
Request" as the subject of the email.

Thanks -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Rokcet Scientist wrote:
Is there a mailto: syntax or switch that would let me not only launch
a pre-addressed email, but also specify a desired subject line?

example: click HERE to launch an email to with
"Support Request" as the subject of the email.

Thanks -

No, there is no such syntax for a hyperlink. But you can use one of the
macros in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/SendMail.htm, and use a
MacroButton field formatted with the Hyperlink style to launch the macro.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Jay Freedman wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:
Is there a mailto: syntax or switch that would let me not only launch
a pre-addressed email, but also specify a desired subject line?

example: click HERE to launch an email to with
"Support Request" as the subject of the email.

Thanks -

No, there is no such syntax for a hyperlink. But you can use one of
the macros in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/SendMail.htm,
and use a MacroButton field formatted with the Hyperlink style to
launch the macro.

I'll eat my words. Suzanne is exactly right, and it does work in Word. In
the Insert Hyperlink dialog, use the Address box to type the mailto:
address followed by ?subject= and the subject. As usual, the text displayed
in the document can be different.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:28:02 -0400, "Jay Freedman"
wrote:

Jay Freedman wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:
Is there a mailto: syntax or switch that would let me not only launch
a pre-addressed email, but also specify a desired subject line?

example: click HERE to launch an email to with
"Support Request" as the subject of the email.

Thanks -

No, there is no such syntax for a hyperlink. But you can use one of
the macros in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/SendMail.htm,
and use a MacroButton field formatted with the Hyperlink style to
launch the macro.

I'll eat my words. Suzanne is exactly right, and it does work in Word. In
the Insert Hyperlink dialog, use the Address box to type the mailto:
address followed by ?subject= and the subject. As usual, the text displayed
in the document can be different.

I promise, this is the last time I'll reply to my own post... :-)

If you use the Insert Hyperlink dialog, and click the "E-Mail
Address" button in the lower left corner, it has boxes for you to
enter the address and the subject, and it will automatically construct
the proper mailto: format. This is true at least as far back as Word
2000.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rokcet Scientist Rokcet Scientist is offline

Thanks for the quick responses! While awaiting them, I found this gem and
answered my own question...but this shows how to do more than just add a
subject line:

MailTo Syntax Summary

Words MailTo command can do more than enter a single e-mail address in the
"Send To" field while activating your e-mail program. For example:

Desired MailTo Effect Word Syntax Example
Simple MailTo
MailTo with Multiple Recipients
MailTo with Subject ?subject=whatever
MailTo with a Copy
MailTo with a Blind Copy
MailTo with 1 line in Body ?body=Please help!
MailTo with 2+lines in
Body ?body=line1%0A%0aline2.%0A%0Alin e3

NOTE:
1. Features can be used in combination€¦.i.e.,
MailTo with Subject, a Recipient, a Copy and a Blind Copy:
a ?subject=MailTo
"
2. Remember to use only one ? (question mark), when providing multiple
entries beyond e-mail address.
3. The MailTo parameter should be preceded by "?" for the first or only
parameter and "&" for second and subsequent parameter.

wrote:

Jay Freedman wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

Jay Freedman wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:
Is there a mailto: syntax or switch that would let me not only launch
a pre-addressed email, but also specify a desired subject line?

example: click HERE to launch an email to with
"Support Request" as the subject of the email.

Thanks -

No, there is no such syntax for a hyperlink. But you can use one of
the macros in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/SendMail.htm,
and use a MacroButton field formatted with the Hyperlink style to
launch the macro.

?? Suzanne's post was right on the money. It works perfectly. ??
No macro necessary.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bas Bas is offline

is it possible to predefine a line in the message field (in addition
to the line in the subject field?)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think you may well be asking too much with that one.

ups.com...