Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ncmacasl ncmacasl is offline

Default Why confirm delete on select block/delete?

Now, when I select text, then press delete, it asks to confirm the delete in
the status bar. Why is it doing this and how can i stop it??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Which version of Word?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"ncmacasl" wrote in message
Now, when I select text, then press delete, it asks to confirm the delete
in
the status bar. Why is it doing this and how can i stop it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're using Word 2003 or earlier, it's due to the WordPerfect options.
Choose Tools Options General, and remove the checks next to the
WordPerfect options.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"ncmacasl" wrote in message
Now, when I select text, then press delete, it asks to confirm the delete
in
the status bar. Why is it doing this and how can i stop it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad to be of service. About two or three thousand years ago, WordPerfect
for DOS actually used to prompt like that when you wanted to delete a block
of text. I'm guessing that a frustrated archeology major at Microsoft
thought that it might be nice to dig up and preserve that artifact in some
way. So, when we say "WordPerfect" help/keystrokes in Word, we're talking
ancient history. WordPerfect itself hasn't behaved that way in quite a long
time. And, just for fun, sometimes those options seem to get turned on all
by themselves, with no help from the user. Mercifully, the WordPerfect
options no longer exist in Word 2007... something to look forward to. ;-)

--

"ncmacasl" wrote in message
Now, when I select text, then press delete, it asks to confirm the
delete
in
the status bar. Why is it doing this and how can i stop it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But if they *do* get turned on (by a poorly written add-in, for example,
which is the only way I can think of that they get turned on in previous
versions), there's no way to turn them off short of a Registry edit (which
is why they weren't removed from the UI many versions ago). I saw a post
earlier today where someone's Home key didn't work, and I had dire
suspicions.