Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DT DT is offline

Default Sample Text =lorem()

I'm new to Word 2007. What setting controls functions like sample text
(=lorem())? On one Word 2007 install =lorem() works, but on another it
doesn't. I've been through the settings on both and I don't see why one
would work and the other wouldn't.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

in an empty paragraph, type
=rand(2,5)
and press ENTER

You'll get two paragraphs of 5 sentences each (word 2007 related content).
The first number is the number of paragraphs and the second, which may along
with the , be omitted) specifies the number of sentences. If you omit the ,
and the 2nd number, each paragraph will have 3 sentences.

You should be able to do the same with lorem but you've obviously had problems

"dt" wrote:

I'm new to Word 2007. What setting controls functions like sample text
(=lorem())? On one Word 2007 install =lorem() works, but on another it
doesn't. I've been through the settings on both and I don't see why one
would work and the other wouldn't.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DT DT is offline

thanks for your reply!

I should have said that =rand() doesn't work either. I'm sure there is a
setting somewhere that isn't allowing functions like this...

"dt" wrote:

I'm new to Word 2007. What setting controls functions like sample text
(=lorem())? On one Word 2007 install =lorem() works, but on another it
doesn't. I've been through the settings on both and I don't see why one
would work and the other wouldn't.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DT DT is offline

Found it...

In "Word Options" under the proofing section, I had to enable "replace text
as you type" under the AutoCorrect Options.

"dt" wrote:

I'm new to Word 2007. What setting controls functions like sample text
(=lorem())? On one Word 2007 install =lorem() works, but on another it
doesn't. I've been through the settings on both and I don't see why one
would work and the other wouldn't.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

How about creating a AutoText entry for this if your =rand() does not work
(have not found out why yet, still looking).
http://lorem-ipsum.perbang.dk/ website has the text, which you can then
select and press Alt+F3.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"dt" wrote:

I'm new to Word 2007. What setting controls functions like sample text
(=lorem())? On one Word 2007 install =lorem() works, but on another it
doesn't. I've been through the settings on both and I don't see why one
would work and the other wouldn't.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/DummyText.htm, particularly the
second half about creating your own dummy text as an AutoText entry. (The
one difference is that AutoText's completion prompt doesn't work in Word
2007, so you need to press F3 after typing the entry's name.) Or you could
make it an AutoCorrect entry instead.

There isn't any setting in Word that I know about that would suppress the
=rand() replacement. Are you seeing any other broken features? Try the
diagnostic in the Word Options dialog...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman