Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JmBears99 JmBears99 is offline

Default How do you find a document you forgot to save?

I typed a paper then forgot to save it, turned the computer off, but on my
computer I had checked that automatically saved every ten minutes, and now I
can't find the document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CasaDeCastro CasaDeCastro is offline

The default location in Word 2007 is C:\Documents and
Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\ but I don't think AutoSave
works for files that haven't ever been saved once (e.g., Book1)

I'm not sure how the feature works though -- I have auto save on but no
files in that directory mentioned above.

"JmBears99" wrote:

I typed a paper then forgot to save it, turned the computer off, but on my
computer I had checked that automatically saved every ten minutes, and now I
can't find the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard in AZ Richard in AZ is offline

"JmBears99" wrote in message
I typed a paper then forgot to save it, turned the computer off, but on my
computer I had checked that automatically saved every ten minutes, and now I
can't find the document.

If you did a normal shutdown of your computer, you are SOL. The auto save feature will try to
recover the file if power went off while you were working on the document (file recovery) and it
will save to the selected file name if you have done a SAVE-AS.

But if you initiated the shutdown and/or closure of Word without saving, you did a bad thing!! and
you are being punished.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

AutoRecover is useful only when you do not voluntarily close the file or
shut down Word without saving. AutoRecovery saves are deleted when you do
either. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

"JmBears99" wrote in message
I typed a paper then forgot to save it, turned the computer off, but on my
computer I had checked that automatically saved every ten minutes, and now

can't find the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

As others have indicated there is no autosave in Word - only autosave
recoveryt information. If you don't save a document there's nothing to
recover. It is possible to get Word to autosave (though frankly I would find
that very annoying) - see http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm ,
but there's no substitute for haviung CTRL+S imprinted on your brain and
using it every time you stop for thought.