Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jason Saffer

Default Can I Change The Text of a Level 1 Heading?

Hi all,

I have a large document that has five major sections. Each section starts
with a Level 1 heading that I created using the Outline toolbar. The heading
for the first section looks something like this:

1 Section 1 - Business Items

In the above heading, I have typed in the words "Section 1 -- Business
Items" and Word seems to have put in the number "1" in the far left side.

I'd like to get rid of the number "1" but still have Word know that this is
a section heading. When I just delete the "1", I seem to lose the Level 1
heading format. This means that subsequent sub-headings aren't cascading as
they should.

Any simple way to handle this?

Many thanks!

.....Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

The best thing to do is to modify the numbering scheme so that its top
level includes the word "Section". (This also means that you wouldn't
have to type "Section #" for each heading.) Here's how to do it: For a
Heading 1 paragraph, display the Modify Style dialog box (see
http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ModifyAStyle.html). In the dialog
box, click FormatNumbering. Click Customize. In the Number format
box, type "Section" (followed by a space). Confirm your modification
by clicking OK as many times as needed to close all dialog boxes. For
more about setting up outline numbering in Word, see
http://shaunakelly.com/word/numberin...Numbering.html .

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jason Saffer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

Clarification: Of course you should type the word Section *before* the
number that displays in the Number format box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Note that a couple of the built-in outline numbering schemes have text
(Article, Chapter) before the number; you might want to start with one of
these to get the idea.

[...]

Creating dynamic cross reference links in a Word document torajudo Microsoft Word Help 5 April 27th 23 08:57 PM
Numbering Manfred Microsoft Word Help 3 October 21st 05 03:52 PM
How to change the Outline level highlight bar colour? ?? Microsoft Word Help 1 March 15th 05 09:11 AM
How to change the "style" on the same line of text with Word. CAK Microsoft Word Help 2 January 18th 05 05:57 PM
Can I change the vertical alignment of text in a text box? Fien Page Layout 2 November 25th 04 03:47 PM