JoAnn

Default Bookmark page cross-references not updating

I am using W2003. I am finding that in some documents (can't tell if created
in W2000 or W2003) I have page cross-references that are not updated when I
open the document --- they all say page "3". The references refer to a
bookmark and they are in the main part of the document.

I can fix them with a manually executed F9 or by using Print Preview but I
lose the changes when I close/reopen the document.

An auto open macro I created to select the doc & update all its fields (in
an attempt to fix this problem) doesn't change it for some reason. Even if
it did work, our end-user requires that no macros be in their docs when we
send them to them (the autoopen is in an attached template).

I've tried applying the suggestions for the Page x of y issue but they have
no affect. Currently my doc is set to update fields on printing, no
background printing & no display of non-printing characters.

So far, the only workaround I have is to update the fields then lock them to
prevent it from changing when I close/reopen. But, the trade off is having
to unlock/update whenever we revise the document. This is not a good
solution for us since the doc goes through many revisions.

This is odd because it doesn't happen on every document. I have tried
deleting/recreating the cross-reference (which didn't work) and the bookmark
(still didn't work).

I hope someone has another alternative/fix I can try. Thank you!

--
JoAnn