Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Iragalam Iragalam is offline

Default Almost there...new way of numbering?

I am able to insert different files using conditional IF statements.
Everything including the TOC works great until I try to add outline numbers
to the document. When numbering is added the TOC hates it, and includes a
ton of blank spots.

If you have seen this and know how to fix the numbering it would help me a
lot.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can you clarify "a ton of blank spots"? If what you mean is that there's too
much space between the number and the text, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NumberAlignment.htm. If you have blank
TOC entries, then that's another story.

"Iragalam" wrote in message
I am able to insert different files using conditional IF statements.
Everything including the TOC works great until I try to add outline

numbers
to the document. When numbering is added the TOC hates it, and includes a
ton of blank spots.

If you have seen this and know how to fix the numbering it would help me a
lot.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Iragalam Iragalam is offline

Yeah sorry about that. By blank spots I meant blank TOC entires. It seems
like I can either have numbering in my document and a terrible TOC or have no
numbering but a correct TOC.

"Iragalam" wrote in message
I am able to insert different files using conditional IF statements.
Everything including the TOC works great until I try to add outline

numbers
to the document. When numbering is added the TOC hates it, and includes a
ton of blank spots.

If you have seen this and know how to fix the numbering it would help me a
lot.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Blank TOC entries usually occur as a result of having empty paragraphs or
manual page breaks formatted with a heading style. Display nonprinting
characters (Ctrl+*) and make sure that you don't have an empty Heading x
paragraph before any heading. If you have manual page breaks, you can solve
the problem by deleting them and formatting the headings as "Page break
before" (Format | Paragraph | Line and Page Breaks). If there is a heading
level that is always preceded by a page break, add that formatting to the
heading style.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Can you clarify "a ton of blank spots"? If what you mean is that there's

too
much space between the number and the text, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NumberAlignment.htm. If you have

blank
TOC entries, then that's another story.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Iragalam" wrote in message
I am able to insert different files using conditional IF statements.
Everything including the TOC works great until I try to add outline

numbers
to the document. When numbering is added the TOC hates it, and

includes a
ton of blank spots.

If you have seen this and know how to fix the numbering it would help

me a
lot.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Iragalam Iragalam is offline

Thanks, I tried doing that but it didn't help. Must be since I'm using the
IF field and includetext field. If you've tried this and got it to work I'd
love to know how.

"Iragalam" wrote in message
I am able to insert different files using conditional IF statements.
Everything including the TOC works great until I try to add outline
numbers
to the document. When numbering is added the TOC hates it, and

includes a
ton of blank spots.

If you have seen this and know how to fix the numbering it would help

me a
lot.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Iragalam Iragalam is offline

Thanks for your input. I'm trying to say something like this:
If a dropdown box is equal to x then include a certain file.

The TOC works fine when I say includetext but not when I add the IF

"Iragalam" wrote in message
I am able to insert different files using conditional IF

statements.
Everything including the TOC works great until I try to add

outline
numbers
to the document. When numbering is added the TOC hates it, and
includes a
ton of blank spots.

If you have seen this and know how to fix the numbering it would

help
me a
lot.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm out of ideas, then.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Can you clarify "a ton of blank spots"? If what you mean is

that
there's
too
much space between the number and the text, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NumberAlignment.htm. If

you
have
blank
TOC entries, then that's another story.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Iragalam" wrote in

message
I am able to insert different files using conditional IF
statements.
Everything including the TOC works great until I try to

add
outline
numbers
to the document. When numbering is added the TOC hates

it,
and
includes a
ton of blank spots.

If you have seen this and know how to fix the numbering it

would
help
me a
lot.