Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Default Find / replace horizontal lines?

I have a file which has horizontal lines that I've created by entering ---
(three hyphens) plus Enter, which Word changes into a page-wide horizontal
line.

I'd like to use Find to find-and-replace them. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 3 May 2008 17:08:00 -0700, Eric wrote:

I have a file which has horizontal lines that I've created by entering ---
(three hyphens) plus Enter, which Word changes into a page-wide horizontal
line.

I'd like to use Find to find-and-replace them. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.

No, you can't use Find for them. They're paragraph borders
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...RidOfLine.htm), and Find
doesn't have any way to look for borders.

If you just want to remove all of them -- and you don't have any other paragraph
borders in the document that you want to keep -- then select everything
(Ctrl+A), go to Format Borders & Shading, select No Border (make sure the
Apply To box is set to Paragraph), and click OK.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Thanks. I've never known exactly what they were. Never tried that hard to
figure it out... but I've always been curious.

It just seemed to me like one of those un-figure-outable things like list
styles or bullets and numbering - things that must have some logic to them
but none that any normal person has the time or energy to figure out. :-)

Seriously, thanks for the info.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

Meguy Meguy is offline
Junior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I have a file which has horizontal lines that I've created by entering ---
(three hyphens) plus Enter, which Word changes into a page-wide horizontal
line.

I'd like to use Find to find-and-replace them. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.
Feel like I'm travelling back in time to answer this thread and you'll probably no longer be interested. This is, however, the first Google result and I have found a simple work around.

So here it is, 10 years late.

If you just want to remove all of them -- and you don't have any other paragraph borders in the document that you want to keep -- then select everything (Ctrl+A), go to Format Borders & Shading, select No Border (make sure the Apply To box is set to Paragraph), and click OK. Think you can also change the colour there if you reapply the borders how you want them. Probably all borders, then turning off the right and left one.

You can also change --- into horizontal lines by doing this. Do a find and replace (ctrl+H) on the --- then set the replacement to be --------------------------------------- (the width of the page) Set the formatting of these dashes to underline, change their colour to white. Et Voila, you now have something similar to the border lines.

Best wishes,
Meguy, 2018