Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RBechaud RBechaud is offline

Default How does one "Show text boundary in 2007"

With Word 2003 one can show (in Page layout) the dotted margin by setting the
text boundary 'on'. How is this done in 2007?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:51:01 -0700, RBechaud
wrote:

With Word 2003 one can show (in Page layout) the dotted margin by setting the
text boundary 'on'. How is this done in 2007?

In Word 2007, go to Office button Word Options Advanced Show document
content, and check "Show text boundaries".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] rub.oupes@gmail.com is offline

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The bad news is that text boundaries are useless in Word 2013. They no
longer show you the margins; instead, they enclose the area of the page
where there is text. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

" wrote in message

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is the first mention I have seen of Word2013 -- they haven't even
tried to sell it to me.

On Feb 6, 2:40*pm, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
The bad news is that text boundaries are useless in Word 2013. They no
longer show you the margins; instead, they enclose the area of the page
where there is text. :-(

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/. As you can tell, the focus is on
"Office 365."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:
The bad news is that text boundaries are useless in Word 2013. They no
longer show you the margins; instead, they enclose the area of the page
where there is text. :-(

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh, that. Yeah, I got an ad for Office365. Maybe they've realized I
don't use mobile devices.

wrote:
The bad news is that text boundaries are useless in Word 2013. They no
longer show you the margins; instead, they enclose the area of the page
where there is text. :-(

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Windows 8 looks like the screen of a smartphone, which is why I'm in no
hurry to upgrade ... sigh

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:
The bad news is that text boundaries are useless in Word 2013. They
no
longer show you the margins; instead, they enclose the area of the
page
where there is text. :-(

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A couple weeks ago my Internet Explorer stopped working. I asked about
this at the Best Buy Geek Squad (which I was favorably disposed toward
because of the "Nerd Herd" on *Chuck*), and the Geek told me it could
not be repaired or replaced, and since it is fully integrated into
Windows, it could lead to the demise of Windows itself. (The computer
itself was at home running a Full Scan -- it took 12 hours and did
find a trojan.) So the next day I brought it in, and he installed
Google Chrome (which is not quite indistinguishable), and as long as I
was there, I asked whether my 3-year-old laptop could run Windows 8,
and if it could, would I want it to.

He said it could, and it does some nice things (none of which I need),
and it would probably be considerably slower.

wrote:
The bad news is that text boundaries are useless in Word 2013. They
no
longer show you the margins; instead, they enclose the area of the
page
where there is text. :-(

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed, there is no hurry to install something that would be slow on your
current computer! Windows 7 works just fine for me, but sooner or later it
will be necessary to replace it, of course. I'll cross that bridge when I
have to... :-)

For what it's worth, I'd choose Firefox over Google Chrome, because Chrome
seems to create a mess if you ever want to uninstall it (see
http://www.slipstick.com/general/why...stall-chrome/).

--

wrote:
The bad news is that text boundaries are useless in Word 2013.
They
no
longer show you the margins; instead, they enclose the area of the
page
where there is text. :-(

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] sarker.skcl@gmail.com is offline

wrote:

With Word 2003 one can show (in Page layout) the dotted margin by setting the
text boundary 'on'. How is this done in 2007?

In Word 2007, go to Office button Word Options Advanced Show document
content, and check "Show text boundaries".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Many Manyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Bill is offline

Stefan,

I just saw your recent response on this subject and while I've been a
Word user for years, I never had the "need" to show "text boundary"
but decided to try your advice on several of my files and it worked as
advertized. I then tried it on another file and the text boundary went
all the way to the left margin (1" away from the start of the text)!
Try as I might, I could not get the text boundary to close in around
the text! What do I need to do here? Thanks!

Bill

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:43:15 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

Indeed, there is no hurry to install something that would be slow on your
current computer! Windows 7 works just fine for me, but sooner or later it
will be necessary to replace it, of course. I'll cross that bridge when I
have to... :-)

For what it's worth, I'd choose Firefox over Google Chrome, because Chrome
seems to create a mess if you ever want to uninstall it (see
http://www.slipstick.com/general/why...stall-chrome/).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you examined all the interlocking settings of margins and indents
and Styles and all that stuff that could be affecting your display?
Check the Paragraph display (where you set line spacing etc.), the
Page Layout display (all three tabs), where you set page size,
margins, etc.), and the Styles panel (where you Modify or Create New,
etc.), and even look in the Header & Footer to see if there's
something there that shouldn't be.

Sometimes they can surprise you. Especially if it's only one file
that's misbehaving!

wrote:
Indeed, there is no hurry to install something that would be slow on your
current computer! *Windows 7 works just fine for me, but sooner or later it
will be necessary to replace it, of course. I'll cross that bridge when I
have to... :-)

For what it's worth, I'd choose Firefox over Google Chrome, because Chrome
seems to create a mess if you ever want to uninstall it (see
http://www.slipstick.com/general/why...stall-chrome/).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What is the margin setting in the Page Setup dialog box?

Have indents been applied to text?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:

Indeed, there is no hurry to install something that would be slow on your
current computer! Windows 7 works just fine for me, but sooner or later
it
will be necessary to replace it, of course. I'll cross that bridge when I
have to... :-)

For what it's worth, I'd choose Firefox over Google Chrome, because Chrome
seems to create a mess if you ever want to uninstall it (see
http://www.slipstick.com/general/why...stall-chrome/).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Bill is offline

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestions but I still cannot resolve the issue! The
"text box" on the right-hand side of the document is fine but the
left-hand is 1" away from the actual text! To clarify one issue you
mentioned, the problem IS apparently unique this particular file!

I thought I might have found the problem and it appeared to work but
when I scrolled down through the document, it "shifted" the order of
many of my indented sub-paragraphs! I did notice that on this
particular document, when you go to Page LayoutMargins Custom
MarginsPage Setup, the Margins Left was 0.13" and the right was
0.88". On all the other documents, the Margins Left was 1.25" and the
Margins Right was 1.25". But the left side of the "text box" remained
at the far left of the document!

I probably would never have noticed this problem had I not
"experimented" with the "text box" in the first place, but it's very
strange that I can't fix this one file. Any other suggestions would be
appreciated!

Bill

wrote:
Indeed, there is no hurry to install something that would be slow on your
current computer! *Windows 7 works just fine for me, but sooner or later it
will be necessary to replace it, of course. I'll cross that bridge when I
have to... :-)

For what it's worth, I'd choose Firefox over Google Chrome, because Chrome
seems to create a mess if you ever want to uninstall it (see
http://www.slipstick.com/general/why...stall-chrome/).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Bill is offline

Stefan,

See my last post to Peter!

Bill

On Mon, 20 May 2013 20:13:43 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

What is the margin setting in the Page Setup dialog box?

Have indents been applied to text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Bill is offline

In all of this, I neglected to mention that I'm using Word 2010!

Bill

wrote:

What is the margin setting in the Page Setup dialog box?

Have indents been applied to text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I wonder ... if there's a single paragraph, anywhere in the document,
even an empty one, that's had its left margin moved left of where it
should be -- or maybe the ghost of a text box or a graphic -- would
that cause the outline to have to clear it?

wrote:
What is the margin setting in the Page Setup dialog box?

Have indents been applied to text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Bill is offline

That was a very good suggestion! I mentioned that this is a very large
file (~1.8M), created some time ago and updated regularly and
ultimately converted to html and uploaded to a website. I went through
the entire file, line-by-line (no small task, as you might expect!)
and found a number of tabs (almost all of them in the blank spaces) &
a few "down arrow" tabs that were located in that 1" between the left
side of the text and the left margin. All of these were either deleted
or moved to their proper place.

Unfortunately, the 1" gap between the text box and the left side of
the text is still there! I'm at my wits end and almost sorry that I
even clicked the "show text box"!!!!!! Anyway, I'm willing to pursue
this further if you have any other suggestions. Thanks for your
patience!

Bill

wrote:
What is the margin setting in the Page Setup dialog box?

Have indents been applied to text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The text boundaries should show the "text area" within a container (page,
text box, frame, etc.). In other words, the boundaries depend on margins but
not on indentation.

This is strange, I think...

Note that the behavior of text boundaries has changed (I'm told) in Word
2013. It no longer works as expected, unless you save the document to an
older file format. :-(

--

wrote:
What is the margin setting in the Page Setup dialog box?

Have indents been applied to text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I just noticed your reply...

Have you considered changing the text box margins? Does that make a
difference?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:
What is the margin setting in the Page Setup dialog box?

Have indents been applied to text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Bill is offline

Stefan,

I don't know how I missed it, but you were right on!!! I checked the
text box margins of the troublesome document and noticed that it was
somehow set 1" to the left! As soon as I shifted the text box margin
1" to the right, the text box lined up perfectly! Unfortunately for
me, it meant that I had to go through the entire 1.8M file and change
the indents where applicable but once done, the document was "back to
normal".
I can't figure out how I got this particular text box margin set since
I didn't even know about it until the procedure for accessing the
"text box" was posted a short time ago! As I mentioned earlier, all
the rest of my webpage documents were not involved.

Thanks to you and Peter for your patience! Best regards!

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are welcome (and thank you for the follow-up)!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP