Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
guyeda guyeda is offline

Default Getting Table caption margins to match Table dimensions

Is there any quick way to get the margins for a table caption to match the
dimensions of the table in Word 2003? I have a document with tables of
varying widths and it would be nice if when entering a caption, it would
simply adjust its margins to adopt the width of the table. From reading the
various other solutions here, it seems like one option is to add a row to the
top of the table, make it all one cell and cut/paste the caption into that
cell, but I was wondering if there's a quicker way.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Wrap a frame around the table and its caption; just select them both and use
the Insert Frame button on the Forms toolbar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"guyeda" wrote in message
Is there any quick way to get the margins for a table caption to match the
dimensions of the table in Word 2003? I have a document with tables of
varying widths and it would be nice if when entering a caption, it would
simply adjust its margins to adopt the width of the table. From reading
the
various other solutions here, it seems like one option is to add a row to
the
top of the table, make it all one cell and cut/paste the caption into that
cell, but I was wondering if there's a quicker way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
guyeda guyeda is offline

Thanks for the reply Stefan,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but this didn't work for me. The frame
groups the caption and table together nicely, but it doesn't adjust the
caption text to match the dimensions of the table. The frame dimensions
actually match those of the caption text. It also has an unfortunate side
effect of killing the property of hidden carriage returns in the caption
text, which I use to make cross-references and List of Table generations
match my format needs.

Greg

"guyeda" wrote in message
Is there any quick way to get the margins for a table caption to match the
dimensions of the table in Word 2003? I have a document with tables of
varying widths and it would be nice if when entering a caption, it would
simply adjust its margins to adopt the width of the table. From reading
the
various other solutions here, it seems like one option is to add a row to
the
top of the table, make it all one cell and cut/paste the caption into that
cell, but I was wondering if there's a quicker way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Sometimes you have to manually adjust the dimensions of the frame.
Right-click the frame border and choose Format Frame from the context menu;
this will open the dialog box that you need.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"guyeda" wrote in message
Is there any quick way to get the margins for a table caption to match
the
dimensions of the table in Word 2003? I have a document with tables of
varying widths and it would be nice if when entering a caption, it
would
simply adjust its margins to adopt the width of the table. From
reading
the
various other solutions here, it seems like one option is to add a row
top of the table, make it all one cell and cut/paste the caption into
that
cell, but I was wondering if there's a quicker way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I forgot to mention that I don't see a way to make hidden paragraph marks
work inside frames. And, unfortunately, the style separator doesn't seem to
work in this situation either. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP