skip records in mail merge

Old August 22nd 06, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
R Alapatt

Default skip records in mail merge

I have a data file where fields in a record are listed one below the other
i.e. a record is not a line. Each record is made up of 50 lines. I need to
extact the address to print labels. The address is located every 20 through
25th line. In mail merge is there a way to skip a constant number of lines?
Old August 22nd 06, 03:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

One way to approach this would simply be to put the correct number of Next
record fields (i.e. { NEXT } fields) in your mail merge main document. As
long as the number of lines in each record is completely consistent, you may
be able to get away with it.

Peter Jamieson

Old August 22nd 06, 04:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
R Alapatt

Thank you Peter. But is there any of the easier way. It will be a lot of
next record that I have to type.

Old August 22nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

You only have to type them once, into your mail merge main document. Then
use cut-and-paste (or if you are doing a label merge, you may be able to use
"propagate labels").

I suspect that is easier than any other method I can think of right now

Peter Jamieson

Old August 22nd 06, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Did you see the response to your post on the same subject on August 17?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old August 23rd 06, 06:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

I think I would be inclined to convert the data file to a more usable
format - see http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old August 25th 06, 02:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
R Alapatt

That is a good idea. Thank you. I will try to implement it. But I am
wondering if Mail merge can say skip 'x' number of records. That way the
data file can be used as is.

Old August 25th 06, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Back then to Peter's original suggestion of using 20 Next record fields (you
can copy and paste them to save retyping).