Word 2007 Paragraph numbering/restart numbering; Legal doc

Old June 5th 07, 12:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sam

Default Word 2007 Paragraph numbering/restart numbering; Legal doc

I thought I understood paragraph numbering, but W2007 is vexing me. Here is
what I want:
-numbered paragraphs that automatically number the next paragraph
-to restart the numbering several times in the document
-paragraphs to be first-line indented, not hanging

I knew how to do it in prior Word, but W2007 reverts to hanging paragraphs
when I try to do Restart Numbering, and then won't restart the numbering
anyway. It is driving me crazy. I cannot get it to restart numbering. I tried
applying List 2, I tried creating a new style, but none of it seems to work.
What do I have to do?
Old June 5th 07, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP

Here's what works for me....

I create separate styles for every level of the document. So if I intend to
start with 1's and then A's and then i's - I create three styles. They can
be as simple as FirstLevel, SecondLevel, ThirdLevel. Be sure that you define
then so that they are in your Quick Style Gallery as that will make it much
easier to apply the style.

I then click the down arrow next to the multilevel list command in the
Paragraph Group and select "Define New Multilevel List" (You will also use
this same command to make changes to the list.)

In the Define new Multilevel list dialog box, click the More button so you
can use the Link level to style. Be sure to modify your number positions so
that they do not conflict with what you defined in the paragraph dialog of
your style.

Click OK.

Now, when you apply the FirstLevel style to your paragraph it should start
off with 1. When you apply the SecondLevel style it should start with an A
and continue with B, etc. When mark another paragraph with FirstLevel then
it should be a 2 and SecondLevel should start over with an A. (See below)

1. FirstLevel
A. SecondLevel
B. SecondLevel
2. FirstLevel
A. SecondLevel
i. ThirdLevel
ii. ThirdLevel
B. SecondLevel
3. FirstLevel

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.

Old June 5th 07, 11:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gr8auntieokie

Sam, one way to get around the "restart numbering" issue is to use a heading
style (or numbered paragraph style, which is what we use in our office) in
your document that is NOT numbered. For instance, Level 1 of your document
might be a text paragraph that is NOT numbered, where you want numbered
paragraphs starting with 1 to follow the UN-numbered paragraph.

Set up your numbering with Level 1 being the UN-numbered paragraph (i.e.,
select "none" under "Number style for this level" and select "Nothing" under
"Follow number with") and Level 2 to be the numbered paragraphs that follow,
where the Level 2 paragraphs will start over with 1 after any Level 1
paragraph.

As for the paragraphs reverting to hanging instead of first line indented,
are you using the Format Painter to copy number formatting from one paragraph
to another? It's my experience that the Format Painter is about the finest
tool Word ever created, but when you use it to paint formatting from one
numbered paragraph to another, the paragraph that you copied FROM tends to
revert to Word's default formatting.... in your case, perhaps, the hanging
paragraph format. If that's the case with your documents, you might do better
to set up UN-numbered paragraphs (as explained above) whenever you want to
"restart" numbering in paragraphs that follow basic text paragraphs.

Cyndie Browning
Tulsa, OK

Old June 6th 07, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sam

Dawn,
That actually helps me with another project, but not the one I am interested
in now.l I did not make this clear, but what I want is several lists of
exactly the same format restarting through the document. This pattern is used
in legal filings such as complaints, orders, petitions, etc. The example
would be:

Now come Defendant saying:
First Motion
1. Blah blah blah l;akdl;akl;dal; l;a l;ajk ak l;ak ajk l;k l;ak l;a
jl;ajkla; jl;k jkl; a a ;kal;jk alj .
2. Blah also.
In further defense, Defendant says:
1. blah blah blah l;akd l;l;k ;kl; ;l; al;ak l;al;fjkl aa l; l;akl;ajk
fljalfjk l;a fl;ajkf ajkl;j al; al;jklj;al;k jdl;ak l;fakj lakj, as follows:
(a) Ain't no way;
(b) Really, there ain't no way.
2. blah blah very blah.
Wherefore, Defendant prays the Court as follows:
1. Make him leave me alone;
2. Make him give me my bicycle back;
3. Do anything else you think would be really fun.

I created a new style called Legal Para Num by trying to modify a current
style. However, when I change from hanging to first line indent, if often
changes it back. That always happens when I choose a numbering style, which
all seem to show block indented paragraphs, which is not what I want. So then
I go change the paragraph back to first line indent. But then the numbering
won't restart. When I click on Restart Numbering, it sets the paragraph style
back to a block indented form, and doesn't restart the numbering either.

Arrrrgghhh. I know there must be something about styles I am missing, but
trying to get this to work is not intuitive. It took me a while to figure
this stuff out in W2003, but I got it. But I cannot find the ways to change
it in W2007.
Sam
Old June 6th 07, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP

Sam -

gr8auntieoakie had it right in telling you to setup a numbering style
without a number - this is the style you would use for your First Motion
text - or the text immediately before your numbering start.

To setup the Numbering (follow my directions earlier - except for the First
level - setup your dialog box like:

Enter formatting for number - make sure it is blank.
Number style for this level - (none)
Number alignment - Left.
Aligned at: We use .5" most frequently although there is one attorney in our
firm who prefers .4"
Text Indent at: 0" if you want the text on the second line to be at the
margin.
Follow number with: Nothing

Make sure you have Link level to Style - whatever style you are going to use
for your First Motion Text *Do Not Use* Normal here.

Then at level two setup your style for your 1, 2, 3, etc.
At level three you would setup your style for an a, b, c, etc which would be
under your 1, 2, 3.

That way you have:

First Motion - StyleLevel1 - not numbered
1. blah blah blah - StyleLevel2 - 1, 2, 3
a. more blah - StyleLevel3 - a, b, c
2. blah blah blah - StyleLevel2
SecondMotion - or further text
1. blah blah blah - StyleLevel2

Hopefully you get the idea.

Also, once you get it working, save your Style Set for this kind of document
so you can pull it out when you have to do these kinds of documents again.
Then you can have a separate Style Set for an Appeal Brief, etc.

As for block, hanging, first line indents - you have to be consistent when
you setup the styles and make them match the numbering styles. So if your
FirstMotion text is supposed to be a First Line Indent with the second line
back at the margin, make sure you also have the numbering set that way.

Sometimes it's easiest to setup the paragraph - after you have applied the
style and then update the style to match what you have on your screen.
(Right click the style and select "update [stylename] to match selection".)

Old September 26th 07, 04:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
That70sHeidi

Firstly, Dawn, thank you thank you!! for pointing out the multilevel list
command! It's what I've been searching for in 2007 and not finding.

However, I've run into a problem using it.

I've set up my styles for the proper indents, caps, etc. I added the
multilevel numbering, then "update the style to current selection" to add the
numbering into the style. Which is awesome. However, I noticed my numbering
isn't set up right.

I need to create my document so that the last number in the sequence updates
for each section, until I go back to the previously defined style. It should
look as such:

PART 1 - GENERAL (I've defined this as a blank 'restart' style and it
works!!!!)
1.1 TITLE
1.1.1 Subsection Title
1.1.1.1 Subsection Text
Texty text sometimes in here, not numbered.
1.1.1.2 Subsection Text
1.1.1.3 Subsection Text
1.1.1.3.1 Super Subsection Text
1.1.1.3.2 Super Subsection Text
1.1.1.4 Subsection Text
1.1.2 Subsection Title
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
2.1 TITLE
2.1.1 Subsection Title
2.2 TITLE
2.3 TITLE

I can't seem to get the multilevel list to do that. I added a plain number
to the end of the "grayed out" "Enter formatting for number" box which
apparently means that number never changes - 1.2.1 becomes 1.2.2.1 on the
next level (should be 1.2.1.1). I tried to copy/paste the gray number but
that doesn't work.

This all worked more or less just fine in the last version of Word, but now
I can't seem to find the old way of doing it, if it still exists, and all the
MVP help documents say it's the wrong way anyway. Help is appreciated, this
is a frequently used template here at work, and to be able to set it up for
2007 as a template that WORKS would be amazing.

Thanks!

Here's what works for me....

Old September 26th 07, 04:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP

Heidi -

In your first level - Type the word Part and then add a number style to
it. "1". I would also associate this level with a Heading style. The
text Part 1 will then automatically be applied, and it will not be
necessary to manually change from "1" to "2" when you get to that point
in your document.

Then level two can use the numbering from the first level to "1.1."
Level three can be "1.1.1."
Etc.

Then when you change to Part 2
Level two = 2.1.
Level three = 2.1.1.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"That70sHeidi" wrote in message
:

[...]

Here's what works for me....

"Sam" HYPERLINK "[email protected] ons.microsoft.com wrote in message
I thought I understood paragraph numbering, but W2007 is vexing me. Here is
what I want:
-numbered paragraphs that automatically number the next paragraph
-to restart the numbering several times in the document
-paragraphs to be first-line indented, not hanging

I knew how to do it in prior Word, but W2007 reverts to hanging paragraphs
when I try to do Restart Numbering, and then won't restart the numbering
anyway. It is driving me crazy. I cannot get it to restart numbering. I
tried
applying List 2, I tried creating a new style, but none of it seems to work.
What do I have to do?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/25/2007 8:02 AM

Old September 26th 07, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
That70sHeidi

Part of that kinda worked. Adding the numbering to the "Part 1" Heading Style
is good, but now my numbering looks like

1.1 TITLE (OK)
1.1.1 Subsection Title (OK)
1.1.1.1 Subsection Text (OK)
Texty text sometimes in here, not numbered.
2.1.1.1 Subsection Text (wrong next digit)
3.1.1.1 Subsection Text (wrong next digit)
1.1.1.1.1 Super Subsection Text (shouldn't
restart at all)
2.1.1.1.1 Super Subsection Text (wrong next
digit)
2.1.1 Subsection Title (wrong next digit)
1.1.1.1 Subsection Text (restarted again)
Texty text sometimes in here, not numbered.
2.1.1.1 Subsection Text (wrong next digit)
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
2.1 TITLE
4.1.1 Subsection Title (way wrong next digit, didn't restart)
2.2 TITLE

I still can't get the numbering to continue in the style with the LAST
number updating within each Style. And it restarts under each substyle.

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Here's what works for me....

Old September 26th 07, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
That70sHeidi

Also, when I save and exit, and re-enter the document, all my numbering is
completely gone, with only "PART 1" left. The Style is still right, however,
and the "automatically update" is NOT checked (per some MVP instructions
someplace).

My "Normal" style also shifted my entire left margin to 1". When I put it
back, save the style, save the document and leave, it reverts.

I do not understand this at all. All the time spent fussing with numbers,
only to have them wrong, and then disappear completely when I save!

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Here's what works for me....

Old September 26th 07, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

You'll need to modify the list as Dawn noted, BUT you don't want to keep
using the Define New Multilevel List command to make your modifications. You
aren't modifying the list - you are adding new lists, or List Templates, to
your document. Instead, use the Define New List Style command. It's
essentially the same but since you are using a Style you are providing a
name for the custom Multilevel list and providing a means to modify the
Multilevel list (and easily shared with other documents) instead of
continuing to create new List Templates which can cause problems down the
road. One scenario is an incorrect List might be used inadvertently, along
with the "correct" list, and you'll soon be back in the newsgroups asking
why your list numbering is all messed up. ;-)

If you are creating a template then you may want to create a new template
and define a new List Style. That way the old Lists won't be included in the
template and used inadvertently .

Also, to modify a List style, right-click the thumbnail in the gallery and
then click Modify.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

[...]