Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rongg Rongg is offline

Default Need to unlock word file

There is a file in C:\windows named "sti_trace.log" that when opened in Word
2000 states "locked for editing by another user". I am the ONLY USER !
This file is growing and has data in it for over 3 years and is 357 pages
long and 907 kb.
It has some kind of start up information which it adds every time I boot up
and refers to a file named "stimon.exe" which is in C:\windows\system.
I would like to unlock it so I can delete all of the old information.
Any ideas ????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Rongg

Rongg wrote:
There is a file in C:\windows named "sti_trace.log" that when opened in Word
2000 states "locked for editing by another user". I am the ONLY USER !
This file is growing and has data in it for over 3 years and is 357 pages
long and 907 kb.
It has some kind of start up information which it adds every time I boot up
and refers to a file named "stimon.exe" which is in C:\windows\system.
I would like to unlock it so I can delete all of the old information.
Any ideas ????

yes: this has nothing to do with Word. :-)

The file is used by Windows itself (belongs to the Still Image Monitor).
Searching for this file with the search engine of your trust reveals one
is supposed to get to it through "msconfig" -- and that the file is
harmless.

For more, please ask the fellows in any Windows group.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |