suroora

Default Supressing space before

I am laying out a document based on a template that has heading styles set
with space before. When the heading appears at the top of the page, it keeps
the space before, although I've selected the option to supress extra line
spacing at top of page (under Options, compatibility). Any ideas why it won't
work?
Thanks.

Stefan Blom

The compatibility option applies to line spacing, only. Spacing Before
is suppressed automatically, with the following exceptions: It is not
suppressed for the first paragraph of a section or for paragraphs
which are set to "Page break before" (Line and Page Breaks tab of the
Paragraph dialog box). For headings that always start a new page, you
can work around this by setting the Spacing Before to zero.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"suroora" wrote in message
I am laying out a document based on a template that has heading

styles set
with space before. When the heading appears at the top of the page,

it keeps
the space before, although I've selected the option to supress extra

line
spacing at top of page (under Options, compatibility). Any ideas why

it won't
work?
Thanks.

Stefan Blom

Note that there is a compatibility option for Spacing Before. It is
called "Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break" and
it applies to paragraphs following manually inserted page and column
breaks only.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP