pfg1318

Default help! strange thing occurring

Ive noticed a very strange thing happens when Im working in Word 2003. I
open a document and type for a while, then hit save. The name of the
document changes to something like €œ~wrl3980.tmp€ and if I close my document
then I lose all my recent work. To get around this I have to copy each
document before I close it and replace the contents of the file by pasting.
I must have some kind of messed up setting.

pfg1318

I forgot to mention that I have uninstalled Office and reinstalled, and ran
all updates.

PopS

"pfg1318" wrote in message
:
: I forgot to mention that I have uninstalled Office and
reinstalled, and ran
: all updates.
:

Somehow you've gotten hold of a temporary file in place of the
file you want. Assuming you haven't been infected by a virus or
Word macro worm etc..:

Word (and Office) creates many of its own files in addition to
the ones you create and know about. Even normal.dot is one of
those. If you delete normal.dot, it will come back as soon as
Word notices it's missing. So, simply reinstalling Word or
Office doesn't delete those files. If a virus/wormk whatever
exists there, it's still there after the reinstall.

As a result, to get an actual literal "reinstall" for Office you
have to also wipe out all those other files. This should work
fine for you since you've already been thru the reinstall once.
As before, you'll have to apply the updates.

If you haven't tried these yet, you might:
-- Try copy/paste the problem file to a new document, but do NOT
copy the last paragraph mark. Save that and see if it's still a
problem.
-- Close Word. Delete normal.dot using windows Explorer, then
close/restart Word. Open a new file, save it, close it, restart
word, load file, and if OK try the file/s that's giving problems.

Since you've already tried a reinstall once, Word's Detect and
Repair isn't likely to help much. So;

To do a reinstall:
-- Using windows explorer, locate where Word is located. Look
for winword.exe or word.exe type of names if you're not certain
you ahve the right folder. Note the locations. It will be
somewhere in the Program Files folder under Office folder
-- Also locate normal.dot and note where it is located.
-- Use the Add/Remove to uninstall Word (or Office if it's not
separated out).
-- Go to the locations where Word is located and normal.dot was
found. If the folders are still there, delete them and
everything in them. Be careful not to mistake some of your own
data files - it shouldn't be a problem but I've heard of people
putting them in strange places. Your own data files should all
be in My Documents somewhere.
-- Do NOT clear the recycle bin yet.
-- Restart the computer
-- Reinstall Word (or Office if you had to remove the whole
thing).
-- Restart the computer again.
Start Word and see if it's OK now. It should be. If it's OK
now but shortly the same preoblem returns, then there's a good
chance you've been infected with malware and you'll have to start
looking in that areas next.

If it's OK, empty the recycle bin. If you've mistakenly deleted
anything importnat that wasn't part of Word, you can get it back
by Restoring it from the recycle bin.

HTH,

PopS