Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Benjamino5 Benjamino5 is offline

Default Word 2000 mystery: page layout discrepancy between computers

A rare but recurring problem at work has stumped me. The same Word file will
have (automatic) page breaks in slightly different spots depending on the
computer! One computer will have a heading at the bottom of page 53, for
example, while another will have that same heading at the top of page 54.

The file has no special manual page breaks, section breaks, weird styles,
etc.

I've noticed that some computers have Word 2000 ((9.0 .7616 SP-3) as the
version number, and so far, each one has laid out the pages the same way
(heading at bottom of page 53).

Other computers are missing some security updates, and have Word 2000 (9.0
..6926 SP-3). They show the heading at the top of page 54.

I asked our IT department to upgrade my computer (we're not allowed to do
this generally) with all security updates.

Now I have Word 2000 (9.0.8950 SP-3), and I'm seeing the heading at the top
of page 54, just like the machines with Word 2000 (9.0 .6926 SP-3).

I should stress here that the page 53/54 example is just ONE example among
many. This issue is not related to a single Word file--it has happened
repeatedly with various projects, various Word files, and on various
computers.

On another discussion board, someone suggested that printer drivers help
determine page layout. Is this true? I'm beginning to doubt my initial theory
about security updates (it is pretty far-fetched), but having printer drivers
change the on-screen layout of the file also seems rather far-fetched.

What do you think could be responsible for these discrepancies? Do you have
any ideas about how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance!