Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jmiller8 jmiller8 is offline

Default How do I repeat table header rows when the table has section break

Background:
I have a document that is a long table that goes on for several pages and
has to be form field protected. Unfortuantly, in one part of the document I
also have to be able to use bold, italics, underline, etc; which word will
not allow in form fields. I had to insert section breaks and only protect
certain sections of the document in order to be able to change the font
attributes in the areas that I needed.

My real question:
Since I have added these (continuous) section breaks the header rows of the
table that I had set to repeat on each page no longer will repeat on the
following pages. Does anyone have any suggestions.

What I have already tried:
I have already tried to cross reference these rows as a bookmark into the
header of pages 2 - ..... but the information wont update when I edit the
information on the first page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jmiller8 jmiller8 is offline

Default How do I repeat table header rows when the table has section b

do you know of anyway to get the information to update when it is cross
referenced into a header? On the first page the table is in the body of the
document. Then on the second and all other following pages I have cross
referenced a section of this table that I need repeated on each page as a
bookmark into the heading. This worked except that the information wont
update on page 2 -... when I edit the information in the body of the first
page?

"jmiller8" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

REF fields in the headers of protected documents don't work. You could try
using StyleRef fields instead. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no way to repeat table headings when the table is split. You'll
have to reinsert the heading rows manually.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"jmiller8" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jmiller8 jmiller8 is offline

The "Useful StyleRef tricks" seems explain exactly what I want to do. I am
however, having trouble getting the StyleRef to work. I am using Word 2002.
I first selected the portion of the table I wanted to have repeat from page
1; then I went to "New Style" in Styles and Formatting. I typed a name,
selected character, and Default paragraph font; then hit "OK".
I then go into the header of the second page and select "StyleRef" from the
insert field menu; then I select the style that I created from the list; then
"OK"
This causes me to get the error message: Error! No text of specified style
in document.

If it will help I can send you the document.

Thanks in advance for your help,

"jmiller8" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I think probably you didn't apply the style. In "classic" Word (2000 and
earlier), you create a new style using Format | Style | New. Then after you
click OK in the New Style, you get back to the Style dialog, and the buttons
there show Apply and Cancel. When you create a new style through Styles and
Formatting in Word 2002/2003, I don't think there's any obvious way to apply
it; you have to do that manually from the task pane after closing the
dialog.