Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sparky

Default How to password protect multiple exisitng doc files at one time

Can someone tell me how to mass password protect my documents?
I have many existing documents but do not feel like opening every file to
set the password protection. Is there an easy way to do many docments at the
same time?
Hope you know a way....

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to password protect multiple exisitng doc files at one time

Password protecting multiple existing doc files
  1. Open the folder where your documents are stored.
  2. Select all the documents that you want to password protect.
  3. Right-click on the selected documents and choose "Properties" from the context menu.
  4. In the Properties dialog box, click on the "Advanced" button.
  5. In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, check the box next to "Encrypt contents to secure data" and click "OK".
  6. You will be prompted to confirm the action. Choose "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" and click "OK".
  7. You will be asked to choose a password for the encryption. Enter a strong password and confirm it.
  8. Click "OK" to close the Properties dialog box.

Now, all the selected documents will be password protected with the same password. You will need to enter the password every time you want to open or modify the documents.

Note that this method uses the built-in encryption feature of Windows, which may not be as secure as third-party encryption software. Also, make sure to remember the password or store it in a safe place, as there is no way to recover it if you forget it.

PHP Code:
// No macro or Visual Basic code found in the text
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

That would have to be done at the operating system level, possibly
password-protecting the folder the files are in (assuming your O/S supports
such protection). What operating system are you using? (To do it using Word,
you'd need a macro of some kind, since Word itself doesn't provide mass
protection.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Sparky" wrote in message
Can someone tell me how to mass password protect my documents?
I have many existing documents but do not feel like opening every file to
set the password protection. Is there an easy way to do many docments at
the
same time?
Hope you know a way....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The following macro should do that. Just make sure you don't forget the
password or you will not be able to open your documents -

Public Sub PasswordAll()

Dim FirstLoop As Boolean
Dim myFile As String
Dim sPassword As String
Dim PathToUse As String
Dim myDoc As Document
Dim Response As Long

PathToUse = InputBox("Path To Use?", "Path", "D:\My Documents\Test\Merge\")
sPassword = InputBox("Enter Password")

On Error Resume Next
Documents.Close SaveChanges:=wdPromptToSaveChanges
FirstLoop = True
myFile = Dir$(PathToUse & "*.doc")
While myFile ""
Set myDoc = Documents.Open(PathToUse & myFile)
If FirstLoop Then
With ActiveDocument
.Password = sPassword
.WritePassword = sPassword
End With
FirstLoop = False

Response = MsgBox("Do you want to process " & _
"the rest of the files in this folder", vbYesNo)
If Response = vbNo Then Exit Sub
Else
With ActiveDocument
.Password = sPassword
.WritePassword = sPassword
End With
End If
myDoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdSaveChanges
myFile = Dir$()
Wend
End Sub

Sparky wrote:
Can someone tell me how to mass password protect my documents?
I have many existing documents but do not feel like opening every
file to set the password protection. Is there an easy way to do many
docments at the same time?
Hope you know a way....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sparky

"Sparky" wrote:

Can someone tell me how to mass password protect my documents?
I have many existing documents but do not feel like opening every file to
set the password protection. Is there an easy way to do many docments at the
same time?
Hope you know a way....

Thanks Herb Tyson. I am using winxp pro. Is it hard to make a macro to
password documents en mass? I guess you need to have the files names ordered
in such a way that it is easy in a macro to program or not?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sparky

Default How to password protect multiple exisitng doc files at one ti

Hi Graham, being a novice in macro's I will need to read up about this so
thanks a lot for the sample macro and the link!
much appreciated