Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thermoregulator thermoregulator is offline

Default Figures and captions

Word 2007: I am working with a document that has hundreds of 'inserted
pictures' each with an 'inserted caption'. Each caption is cross-referenced
within the text. I would like to move both the 'picture and caption' as a
group to a new location while maintaining the ability to update the 'Table of
Figures' - in other words maintain sequential numbering of figures and in
turn update the cross-reference number within the text. Grouping the
'picture and caption' as a frame fixes the figure number preventing the
ability to update the figure number when the sequence has changed.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Try cutting each picture and the caption pair together and pasting them where
you want them (you might want to insert an empty paragraph by pressing ENTER
at the destination location and then delete it after pasting). When done
cutting and pasting all the pairs, press CTRL+A (select all), press F9 (this
may take a while in a very large document), select the Update entire table
radio button in the Update Table of Figures dialog box and click OK. The SEQ
fields in the figures, the cross-references and the table of figures should
all be updated correctly.

"thermoregulator" wrote:

Word 2007: I am working with a document that has hundreds of 'inserted
pictures' each with an 'inserted caption'. Each caption is cross-referenced
within the text. I would like to move both the 'picture and caption' as a
group to a new location while maintaining the ability to update the 'Table of
Figures' - in other words maintain sequential numbering of figures and in
turn update the cross-reference number within the text. Grouping the
'picture and caption' as a frame fixes the figure number preventing the
ability to update the figure number when the sequence has changed.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thermoregulator thermoregulator is offline

In reference to Aeneas suggestion: I am unable to select both the picture
and caption as a pair. The caption is not selectable like a textbox. The
entire text of the caption has to be selected and once you
shift/control+select another object you lose the caption selection. Each
have to be cut/paste separately. If I just needed to move a couple of
pictures it wouldn't be such a big deal. Framing works to group these 2
items but apparently disables the ability to update the caption field and
thus its sequential location within the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

I see your problem now. You have apparently changed the Wrapping Style of the
the pictures to one of the floating styles and then inserted the caption;
Word places the caption for "floating graphics" in a text box, which is in a
drawing layer rather than the text layer. Hence your figure numbering problem.

Tables of contents, tables of figures and indexes will gather entries from
drawing layers beginning with in Word 2007; cross-references to captions in a
drawing layer will now work in Word 2007 but SEQ fields (for example, in
captions) behave as they did in prior versions of Word.

I avoid floating graphics with captions like the plague but that is small
consolation to you. What I would do now, which may not work for you for many
different reasons (layout, time,etc.), is change the wrapping style of each
picture to inline and reinsert each caption.

May be someone else has a better idea.

"thermoregulator" wrote:

In reference to Aeneas suggestion: I am unable to select both the picture
and caption as a pair. The caption is not selectable like a textbox. The
entire text of the caption has to be selected and once you
shift/control+select another object you lose the caption selection. Each
have to be cut/paste separately. If I just needed to move a couple of
pictures it wouldn't be such a big deal. Framing works to group these 2
items but apparently disables the ability to update the caption field and
thus its sequential location within the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thermoregulator thermoregulator is offline

floating graphics. The pics are inserted 'in line with text' and I am able
to update the fields as long as I don't group the 'pic and caption' into a
frame.

After a little tinkering I found the problem/solution. I typically
cut/paste with the right mouse button. When you right click with both 'pic
and caption' selected you lose the caption selection - BUT if you use ctrl-X
you maintain the coupled selection and thus are able to accomplish the move
in 1 step.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Glad you came up with a solution to your problem

"thermoregulator" wrote:

floating graphics. The pics are inserted 'in line with text' and I am able
to update the fields as long as I don't group the 'pic and caption' into a
frame.

After a little tinkering I found the problem/solution. I typically
cut/paste with the right mouse button. When you right click with both 'pic
and caption' selected you lose the caption selection - BUT if you use ctrl-X
you maintain the coupled selection and thus are able to accomplish the move
in 1 step.

keep figures and captions together Khoshravan Microsoft Word Help 11 March 11th 08 07:26 PM
Tbl of figures/Captions Gail[_2_] Tables 2 May 20th 07 09:24 PM
figures and captions Rob Page Layout 1 March 24th 06 03:34 AM
mis numbering captions (figures only) Kayos Microsoft Word Help 2 October 2nd 05 04:19 PM
captions for figures and Tables Erin Bryant Microsoft Word Help 0 February 18th 05 01:35 AM