linda

Default When I delete a file it is copied

When I delete a file it is automatically copied. I know I have the settings
wrong. But I can't figure out how to correct it.
L~
Graham Mayor

How *exactly* are you deleting the file?

linda wrote:
When I delete a file it is automatically copied. I know I have the
settings wrong. But I can't figure out how to correct it.
L~

Graham Mayor

Sorry to be pedantic, but *where* are you looking for My Documents. Is this
in Windows Explorer? From within Word?
When you say 'everything in My Documents is copied' *where is it copied*?
Are the copy files named 'Copy of filename'?
You may have to pass this to a Windows newsgroup, but let's see eaxctly what
it is you are doing and seeing first. Remember that we cannot see what you
are doing, you have to be explicit detail every step.

Normally the only time copies are produced in the way you appear to be
describing is when you drag a highlighted file and drop it in the same
folder. Try selecting the file, right click and pick delete from the menu.
If that produces duplicates in the same folder then you have a major
problem.

linda wrote:
When I delete a file it is automatically copied. I know I have the
settings wrong. But I can't figure out how to correct it.
L~

linda

I start with the START button. Then I go to My Documents. I highlight the
file I want to delete and hit the delete button. A window comes up saying
"do you want to send this to the recycle bin?" I answered yes and another
screen comes up saying "copying this file to ?????" I now have thousands of
copies of files. I am trying to drag the file to the recycle bin and this
may be working but there are so many it's hard to tell.

linda wrote:
When I delete a file it is automatically copied. I know I have the
settings wrong. But I can't figure out how to correct it.
L~

Charles Kenyon

What you are describing sounds like some well-meaning utility to keep you
from accidentally losing files. It doesn't have anything to do with Word as
a program or how Word works. It doesn't sound like anything that Microsoft
has put out recently. It does sound like the briefcase feature.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

linda wrote:
When I delete a file it is automatically copied. I know I have the
settings wrong. But I can't figure out how to correct it.
L~

Daiya Mitchell

I thought it sounded like a virus that people have reported here before.
The original poster may want to do a search, probably on the web rather than
this group.

On 5/24/05 6:55 AM, "Charles Kenyon" wrote:

What you are describing sounds like some well-meaning utility to keep you
from accidentally losing files. It doesn't have anything to do with Word as
a program or how Word works. It doesn't sound like anything that Microsoft
has put out recently. It does sound like the briefcase feature.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/