Lorraine

Default How do I get another certificate of authenticity

I have a new Dell computer purchased around December. My grandchildren use
it for school. They failed to register Microsoft Word when the promts came
up and now Word is locked.

I can't locate the cd with the certificate of authenticity and don't know if
we have ever had it. The numbers I have are for OEM (which I was told meant
it came with the product) and the software did come with the computer. I
tried to put those numbers in, no luck.

I contacted Microsoft by email and they pointed me to a link 'Why is Word
locked.' That was of no help as I know why Word is locked.

Can someone please explain to me how I can get this unlocked and to whom do
I go for that information? I thought it was Microsoft but, apparently, I'm
wrong.

I thank you, in advance, for any help you can offer.
Lorraine

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

First try clicking the Help menu and then selecting Activate Product.
If that doesn't work, you will have to talk to Dell. I hope they can
help you, although from what I've heard the prospects aren't all that
good.

Microsoft sells OEM (original equipment manufacturer) licenses in bulk
to companies such as Dell and Gateway to bundle software with their
hardware. The price of those licenses is much lower than for retail
packages -- and most of that savings is passed on to you -- on the
condition that the OEM handles all the support. You didn't get
anything very helpful from Microsoft because under the terms of the
agreement the problem is Dell's to solve. You can contact Dell by
phone, email, or web-based request form.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Thanks Jay, I'll let you know if that works. I was dreading the thought of
having to contact Dell and hoping that it was Microsoft that could help me. I
have had experience with Dell 'Customer Support' and what you have heard is
very true. I would rather pay for a new word processing program, retail. No
discount!

Thanks again. Will notify you of the outcome. Lorraine