Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim

Default Printing multiple Word docs using Windows Explorer print option

I have a Windows 2000 user, using Word '97 that is trying to print multiple
Word documents by using the Windows Explorer, highlighting multiple
documents, right clicking and selecting print.

If the user is in the local Power Users (or Administrators) group, Word
starts, opens each document, and prints each document just fine. If the user
is not a Power User or Administrator, then Word starts up, but does not open
the documents, and does not print. If the user had selected to print two
documents, they see two instances of Word open and new/ blank documents.

I have checked the DDE settings for DOC files in Windows Explorer | Tools |
Folder Options | File Types and the settings are correct - I proved this by
giving the user "Power User" level rights and Explorer & Word printed the
docs just fine.

I have also given the "Authenticated Users" group FULL rights to C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office and C:\Winnt\Temp directories.

The other thing I checked is just having the user right click in Explorer
and selecting Open. Word starts up once and opens both documents within the
one instance of Word - as it should. This test was done while the user was
NOT part of the "Power Users" or "Administrators" groups (i.e. no elevated
privileges).

Thanks,

Jim
--
If you can keep your head about you, while all those around you are losing
theirs, you just don't understand the situation.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djbooks

this is caused by menu context handlers that are loaded with other programs
on your system. They prevent the print option from working. Please read
this article. It explains how to get around it
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html.

"Jim" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim

Default Printing multiple Word docs using Windows Explorer print optio

Thanks but this is not the case. If you have Power User or Administrator
privileges, using Windows Explorer to right click and select print will work.
If you are Joe Average user, it opens an instance of Word for each of the
documents but does not actually open the documents.

I've further tested this on a fresh system with W2K, SP4, and Office 97
only, so it's not a case of other products causing a conflict.

Any suggestions (other than elevating users to Power Users) is appreciated.

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
How do I show multiple document windows as tabs inside word 2003? rkr3 Microsoft Word Help 2 December 29th 05 06:34 AM
Print multiple word docs to one print job babaton Microsoft Word Help 2 July 15th 05 04:15 PM
How do I get all my Word documents within one Word window RobJacobs Microsoft Word Help 5 April 12th 05 03:04 AM
right-click print from windows explorer not printing multiple word Darin Microsoft Word Help 1 February 15th 05 10:36 PM