Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aris Meneshian Aris Meneshian is offline

Default Index entry shows up in bold in the index

I am using Word 2002, SP3, with Windows XP.
Several of my entries show up in bold in the index. I have made sure that
the entries are not made in bold characters, but when I mark the entry the XE
code appears in bold. Even when I select the code and convert it to regular,
the entry still shows up in bold in the index. I have checked that none of
the code characters is in bold and any other characters before and after
{and}. It does not matter where I mark the entry. The XE code appears in
bold. This happens for both bolded and unbolded words. I do have many bolded
words marked, but only a few codes appear bolded both in the XE code and in
the index. I don't know what else to do.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What is the field code for those XE fields? Show hidden text to find out.

Also, what are the settings for the paragraph (style) in which the affected
XE fields reside?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Aris Meneshian" wrote:

I am using Word 2002, SP3, with Windows XP.
Several of my entries show up in bold in the index. I have made sure that
the entries are not made in bold characters, but when I mark the entry the XE
code appears in bold. Even when I select the code and convert it to regular,
the entry still shows up in bold in the index. I have checked that none of
the code characters is in bold and any other characters before and after
{and}. It does not matter where I mark the entry. The XE code appears in
bold. This happens for both bolded and unbolded words. I do have many bolded
words marked, but only a few codes appear bolded both in the XE code and in
the index. I don't know what else to do.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aris Meneshian Aris Meneshian is offline

All the characters in the XE field are in regular font, no additional codes.
The paragraph is "Body Text+First Line 0.25, Line Spacing 1.5 lines." The
paragraph starts with 3 words in bold. However, when I place the XE code in
the next paragraph, which does not have any words in bold, I still get the
words in bold in the index. I have many paragraphs which start with 2 or 3
bold words, but only this one paragraph is where I have problem; also few
other words that appear in bold in the index are located in paragraphs where
no word in bold exists.

Aris Meneshian

"Aris Meneshian" wrote:

I am using Word 2002, SP3, with Windows XP.
Several of my entries show up in bold in the index. I have made sure that
the entries are not made in bold characters, but when I mark the entry the XE
code appears in bold. Even when I select the code and convert it to regular,
the entry still shows up in bold in the index. I have checked that none of
the code characters is in bold and any other characters before and after
{and}. It does not matter where I mark the entry. The XE code appears in
bold. This happens for both bolded and unbolded words. I do have many bolded
words marked, but only a few codes appear bolded both in the XE code and in
the index. I don't know what else to do.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How about the Index 1 or Index 2 styles which are being used within the
index? Have either of these been (inadvertently) formatted in bold?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Aris Meneshian" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aris Meneshian Aris Meneshian is offline

Thanks for your help.
I have checked the different indexes, from 1-9, none of them has bold as a
feature. I am using the classic format.
I have checked the paragraph formatting and played around with different
options, nothing I tried so far removes the bold words from the index; the
formatting options show up in bold words. But other paragraphs or words that
show similar formatting as the problem words do not show up in bold in the
index. When I change the paragraph or word formatting of the problem words to
"Normal + not bold" or "Body text + Not bold," the words that I have in bold
in the beginning of the paragraph, convert to "not-bold."
I will play around with the paragraph formatting some more and see what
happens.

Aris Meneshian

"Aris Meneshian" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aris Meneshian Aris Meneshian is offline

I appreciate your offer. The file is very large, 200+ pages. Can I send you a
segment of it which contains the couple of the problem words?

Aris Meneshian

"Aris Meneshian" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Follow-up: I received an example document and the cause of the issues turned
out to be bold formatting in the Body Text style which was cleared as direct
formatting to the actual text in the document. The direct formatting was
then picked up in the index.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Please do. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Aris Meneshian" wrote in
message ...

"Aris Meneshian" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed, Word's concept of "bold" and "not bold" can be confusing. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Aris Meneshian" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] byron.song@logistics.co.uk is offline

What this means in laymans language is that to format an entry just select the text between the quotation marks and change the formatting of that. If you change the whole placeholder format that won't work. You may also find you have to change it and change it back e.g. select bold and then clear bold to ensure that the words themselves have the Bold/NoBold setting.

Index entry Rich Microsoft Word Help 6 October 6th 07 06:15 PM
colons in index entry Jim61 Microsoft Word Help 2 May 16th 07 01:45 AM
how to delete a old index entry? wilson Microsoft Word Help 5 June 15th 06 09:37 PM
delete all index entry hassan barjini New Users 1 April 29th 06 03:16 PM
How do I get rid of these Index Entry fields??? Erica Page Layout 3 April 3rd 06 10:24 PM