Stephen

Default Word Wont Start

Word wont start - I just get the splash screen and an empty Word frame and I
am forced to close Word. It was working OK.

Are there any Startup Options for Word in Office 2000?
--
Blah! Blah! Blah!
garfield-n-odie

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm .

Stephen wrote:

Word wont start - I just get the splash screen and an empty Word frame and I
am forced to close Word. It was working OK.

Are there any Startup Options for Word in Office 2000?

Stephen

"Garfield",

I eventualy found Normal.dot and deleted it, I also deleted the Registry
Data key as detailed and looked for (but did not find) and corrupted
templates, but nothing worked.

Is there anything else that you can suggest?

Thanks.

--
Blah! Blah! Blah!

Stephen wrote:

Word wont start - I just get the splash screen and an empty Word frame and I
am forced to close Word. It was working OK.

Are there any Startup Options for Word in Office 2000?

Stephen

I'm a home user with only a local printer. Just to recap, Word 2000 opens
only as far as the splash screen on a blank Word background and then locks
up. Running under XP Pro with the latest updates (as is Office 2000).

winword.exe /a runs OK - but I can't save any configurations.

Any further suggestions?
--
Blah! Blah! Blah!

Stephen wrote:

Word wont start - I just get the splash screen and an empty Word frame

and I
am forced to close Word. It was working OK.

Are there any Startup Options for Word in Office 2000?

Did you delete and reinstall the printer?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you investigate the printer driver?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Stephen wrote:

Word wont start - I just get the splash screen and an empty Word

frame
and I
am forced to close Word. It was working OK.

Are there any Startup Options for Word in Office 2000?

Stephen

Suzanne,

I deleted the printer from the Printers and Faxes and that made no
difference (after rebooting). I have been using this version of Office
extensively for some years, so I don't want to uninstall Word (or Office!)
unless I have too.

Does anyone know what sequence Word is going through while the splash screen
is displayed, that might help in working out the problem? Office 2000 SP-3
was installed recently and I suspect that Word has not worked since that was
installed.

Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Blah! Blah! Blah!

Stephen wrote:

Word wont start - I just get the splash screen and an empty Word

frame
and I
am forced to close Word. It was working OK.

Are there any Startup Options for Word in Office 2000?

Tybalt

I am having the same problem. I have walked though all of the
troubleshooting steps on the MS site, including renaming the normal template,
and the registry items. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both my default
printer and MS Office 2000.

Can you suggest any further steps? Nothing has made any difference so far.

Thank you in advance!

Stephen wrote:

Word wont start - I just get the splash screen and an empty

Word
frame
and I
am forced to close Word. It was working OK.

Are there any Startup Options for Word in Office 2000?

Tybalt

I looked over that article, and as far as I know, I have not created an
administrative installation. This is a standard install on my home PC.
Also, I have found that I can open existing documents just fine, but any time
I try to create any type of new doc in Word, it hangs.

The program doesn't quit, it just stalls and becomes non-responsive.

Would the article you suggested still apply?