Jackie D

Default Formatting Styles in Office 2003

As Victor Meldrew would say, 'I don't believe it!'

I've just spent a couple of days getting to grips with formatting text and
headings using Styles (with the fantastic help of this web site) and now I've
installed Office 2003 I don't know how to do it! It looks totally different
to Word 2000!

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a document based on a template. I
decided I wanted to change the font in the document and update the template
at the same time. I've tried three times to do this but the document styles
remain the same.

Can someone tell me how to go about this in 2003?
--

Many thanks
JD
Anne Troy

Hi, Jackie. That's why I still use Word 2000 to do a lot of my formatting,
particularly when creating styles. However, in 2003, we have the formatting
and styles task pane. Change some text of a style, then right-click the
style name and choose "Update to match current selection". That should help.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jackie D" wrote in message
As Victor Meldrew would say, 'I don't believe it!'

I've just spent a couple of days getting to grips with formatting text and
headings using Styles (with the fantastic help of this web site) and now

I've
installed Office 2003 I don't know how to do it! It looks totally

different
to Word 2000!

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a document based on a template. I
decided I wanted to change the font in the document and update the

template
at the same time. I've tried three times to do this but the document

styles
remain the same.

Can someone tell me how to go about this in 2003?
--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D

Hi Anne

Maybe I'm tired (or perhaps I've had too much wine) but I don't think I
fully understand what you're suggesting I do. Where do I change the text of a
style? In the task pane or in the text within the document?

PS You say you still use Word 2000 to do your styles? Does that mean you are
running Word 2000 AND 2003?
--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote in message
As Victor Meldrew would say, 'I don't believe it!'

I've just spent a couple of days getting to grips with formatting text and
headings using Styles (with the fantastic help of this web site) and now

I've
installed Office 2003 I don't know how to do it! It looks totally

different
to Word 2000!

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a document based on a template. I
decided I wanted to change the font in the document and update the

template
at the same time. I've tried three times to do this but the document

styles
remain the same.

Can someone tell me how to go about this in 2003?
--

Many thanks
JD

Anne Troy

I choose some text in my document that has the style applied. I edit the
format. Then, I right-click the style name in the task pane, and choose
"Update..." And, yes. I run Office 97, 2000, 2002, and 2003 all on one WinXP
computer. Sounds like you're possibly wondering how, so here you go:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/b...oft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jackie D" wrote in message
[...]

Graham Mayor

There is no essential difference between the formatting options in 2000 and
2003 - merely the dialog access is different. You can access the styles you
want to change from the style task pane Format Styles & Formatting. Right
click the style you want to change and select 'modify'. Check the 'add to
template' box to update the template or the changes will apply only to the
document. Save the template when prompted.

Jackie D wrote:
As Victor Meldrew would say, 'I don't believe it!'

I've just spent a couple of days getting to grips with formatting
text and headings using Styles (with the fantastic help of this web
site) and now I've installed Office 2003 I don't know how to do it!
It looks totally different to Word 2000!

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a document based on a template. I
decided I wanted to change the font in the document and update the
template at the same time. I've tried three times to do this but the
document styles remain the same.

Can someone tell me how to go about this in 2003?

Jackie D

It's certainly an idea wirth considering. I think Word 2000 Format Styles
function is more user friendly. But maybe that's because I'm not used to 2003
yet. Thanks for the help. Invaluable as always...
--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D wrote:
As Victor Meldrew would say, 'I don't believe it!'

I've just spent a couple of days getting to grips with formatting
text and headings using Styles (with the fantastic help of this web
site) and now I've installed Office 2003 I don't know how to do it!
It looks totally different to Word 2000!

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a document based on a
template. I decided I wanted to change the font in the document and
update the template at the same time. I've tried three times to do
this but the document styles remain the same.

Can someone tell me how to go about this in 2003?

Jackie D

I'm getting the impression many people think it's a good idea to have Word
2000 on the same pc in order to access the old style formatting?

How would I go about putting an icon on the toolbar to access the old style
formatting?
--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D wrote:
As Victor Meldrew would say, 'I don't believe it!'

I've just spent a couple of days getting to grips with formatting
text and headings using Styles (with the fantastic help of this web
site) and now I've installed Office 2003 I don't know how to do it!
It looks totally different to Word 2000!

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a document based on a
template. I decided I wanted to change the font in the document and
update the template at the same time. I've tried three times to do
this but the document styles remain the same.

Can someone tell me how to go about this in 2003?

Anne Troy

Try this, Jackie:
Tools--Customize.
Go to the Commands tab, and choose All.
Scroll down on the right to FormatStyleModify and drag that up onto your
toolbar.
Close the Customize dialog.
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can put a button on the toolbar to access the old Format Style

dialog.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.