rainyman

Default Word Count change

Copied document in 6x9 page format, Garamond 12pt font, 1.5 spacing to blank
word document 8 1/2x11 format, Courier New 12pt font, double spacing. Word
count in document #2 shows 1686 less in word count than document #1. Printing
sample pages show the two documents are word for word. Anyone know what's
going on?
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

What version of Word are you using? I tried to duplicate the problem
by following your steps with Word 2003...but I didn't have a problem.
Both came out the exact same.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Help Katrina's Homeless Animals: http://www.mousetrax.com/pets.html

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:28:04 -0700, "rainyman"
wrote:

Copied document in 6x9 page format, Garamond 12pt font, 1.5 spacing to blank
word document 8 1/2x11 format, Courier New 12pt font, double spacing. Word
count in document #2 shows 1686 less in word count than document #1. Printing
sample pages show the two documents are word for word. Anyone know what's
going on?

rainyman

I am using Word 2003 from the Office 2003 package. The document is a novel.
Originally the document was in 8 1/2 x 11, 1 inch margins, 1.5 header and
footer, Courier New 12pt font, and double spaced. I clicked select all,
copied and pasted that into a 6 x 9 format, .3 left gutter, mirror image, .5
header and footer, Garamond 12pt font, 1.5 line spacing. I edited and revised
in the 6 x 9 format for printing purposes. I then clicked select all and
copied the 6 x 9 document, pasting that back into an 8 1/2 x 11 format as
described above. I have just done another word count and the 6 x 9 document
is reporting 106,736 words, while the 8 1/2 x 11 document is reporting 104,
993 words, a difference of 1,743. The page difference between the two
documents is as follows: 6 x 9 = 512 pages, 8 1/2 x 11 = 469 pages. I printed
out the same chapter from each version and read them side by side. The are
exactly the same, word for word. The question remains, what word count do I
report when submitting for publishing consideration? I appreciate any help
you can offer. rainyman

wrote:

Copied document in 6x9 page format, Garamond 12pt font, 1.5 spacing to blank
word document 8 1/2x11 format, Courier New 12pt font, double spacing. Word
count in document #2 shows 1686 less in word count than document #1. Printing
sample pages show the two documents are word for word. Anyone know what's
going on?

rainyman

I didn't add page breaks to the document, I have no idea how to accomplish
that operation. This was the first time I've used the 6 X 9 feature. The word
count on the original document was updated daily. When revising and editing
the 6 x 9 document that was updated daily. Word count is extremely important
when submitting material to agents or for publication. Most writers are
cognizant of that fact. Thank you for your interest. Rainyman

wrote:

Copied document in 6x9 page format, Garamond 12pt font, 1.5 spacing to

blank
word document 8 1/2x11 format, Courier New 12pt font, double spacing.

Word
count in document #2 shows 1686 less in word count than document #1.

Printing
sample pages show the two documents are word for word. Anyone know

what's
going on?

What "6 X 9 feature"? If you are using an add-in of some kind, there's no
telling what it may be adding to the doc.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you add any manual page breaks to the 6x9 document? Are you sure the
word count in both docs is updated?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

#1.
Printing
sample pages show the two documents are word for word. Anyone know

what's
going on?

rainyman

Poor choice of words. I meant that I went into Page Setup, then Paper and
chose Custom size going from 8 1/2 x 11 to 6 x 9. I've also discovered I have
another problem in that all Chapters should start on an odd numbered page.
This leaves a blank page with a number in the header. Is there a way to
delete the numbers on the blank pages only? I apologize for the dumb
questions and appreciate the help.
rainyman

#1.
Printing
sample pages show the two documents are word for word. Anyone know
what's
going on?

rainyman

Thank you very much for your help regarding the section break and how it will
help solve my problem with blank, unnumbered pages. I clicked on your MVP
site and found an excellent tutorial on page numbering. I'm a writer, but a
complete boob when it comes to understanding all the things the Word program
can do. Again, thank you for your help.

wrote:

Copied document in 6x9 page format, Garamond 12pt font, 1.5

spacing
blank
word document 8 1/2x11 format, Courier New 12pt font, double
spacing.
Word
count in document #2 shows 1686 less in word count than

document

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

So did that solve your word count problem?

Because, after seeing Jay's comments about hidden text in the above
thread, I tried a test and realized that hidden text, even if shown
and selected, isn't counted. So if there's any chance that any portion
of the content ended up having hidden text applied, that might be the
problem? Just a thought...since I couldn't tell if you were thanking
Suzanne for yet another solution or THE solution.smile

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Help Katrina's Homeless Animals: http://www.mousetrax.com/pets.html

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

wrote:

Copied document in 6x9 page format, Garamond 12pt font, 1.5

spacing
blank
word document 8 1/2x11 format, Courier New 12pt font, double
spacing.
Word
count in document #2 shows 1686 less in word count than

document

rainyman

No, I haven't yet solved the word count problem, but it's not so worrisome
because I can use the standard manuscript format and take that as the word
count. The hidden text theory is probably what's going on, I'm just not savvy
enough to understand it or figure out how to correct it. The page numbering
is solved. Thanks to all of you folks who helped, really appreciate your time
and trouble. If any of you would like to read a great book check
www.hydescorner.com in the next couple of weeks. Thanks again.
Rainyman