Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MB

Default Same Word Document Displaying/Printing Same On All But One Compute

On all of my computers except one, Word documents display and print exactly
the same. For example, I am working with a two-page Word document that has
54 lines, which displays and prints correctly as two pages on all but this
one computer. On this one computer, which uses the exact same version of
Word, with the same setttings on the computer, only 52 lines are being
displayed. The rest is cutting off thereby displaying and printing four
pages. The computer in question is a laptop that I do not print from, so
I've learned to ignore this error, but I'd like to figure out what's going on
and fix it. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Smaller screen?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"MB" wrote in message
news
On all of my computers except one, Word documents display and print
exactly
the same. For example, I am working with a two-page Word document that
has
54 lines, which displays and prints correctly as two pages on all but this
one computer. On this one computer, which uses the exact same version of
Word, with the same setttings on the computer, only 52 lines are being
displayed. The rest is cutting off thereby displaying and printing four
pages. The computer in question is a laptop that I do not print from, so
I've learned to ignore this error, but I'd like to figure out what's going
on
and fix it. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:16:02 -0800, "MB"
wrote:

On all of my computers except one, Word documents display and print exactly
the same. For example, I am working with a two-page Word document that has
54 lines, which displays and prints correctly as two pages on all but this
one computer. On this one computer, which uses the exact same version of
Word, with the same setttings on the computer, only 52 lines are being
displayed. The rest is cutting off thereby displaying and printing four
pages. The computer in question is a laptop that I do not print from, so
I've learned to ignore this error, but I'd like to figure out what's going on
and fix it. Any suggestions?

Probably the laptop has a different printer driver (or a different
version of the printer driver) than the other computers. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm for an
explanation. If that's the case, grab the driver from one of the other
computers and install it on the laptop (the physical printer doesn't
have to be connected to the laptop, it's just the software that
matters). Select that as the default printer and reopen the Word
document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MB

Default Same Word Document Displaying/Printing Same On All But One Com

Yes but I've gone down that route. I've changed resolutions, the problem
continues. Other applications and Web pages display fine and similarly from
computer to computer. It's just Word 2000 that is doing this. And it does
it on any document that runs towards the bottom of a page. I don't think
that it has anything to do with screen size but I'm up for suggestions as to
what settings to change if that were the case.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

Smaller screen?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"MB" wrote in message
news
On all of my computers except one, Word documents display and print
exactly
the same. For example, I am working with a two-page Word document that
has
54 lines, which displays and prints correctly as two pages on all but this
one computer. On this one computer, which uses the exact same version of
Word, with the same setttings on the computer, only 52 lines are being
displayed. The rest is cutting off thereby displaying and printing four
pages. The computer in question is a laptop that I do not print from, so
I've learned to ignore this error, but I'd like to figure out what's going
on
and fix it. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

That was my next suggestion. :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MB

Thanks for the response. I have not printed from this laptop. The bigger
issue to me is that the pages are displaying wrong. So if I edit then e-mail
them, the end result is a Word document that is not displaying correctly.
All things being equal, Word documents should display the same from computer
to computer, right? I have another (work) laptop that displays documents
like all of my other computers, what is unique about this one that is causing
me this problem?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MB

Default Same Word Document Displaying Same On All But One Computer

OK...forget that I even mentioned printing I've even changed the subject
line

How do I get this computer to display Word documents like all of my other
computers?

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

That was my next suggestion. :-)

--

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

It doesn't matter that you haven't printed it, it's still using the printer
driver.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What Word displays is what it would print if you were to print using the
currently selected driver (that's what WYSIWYG means). If you will follow
Jay's suggestion and install the same printer driver (or as close as you can
get if the OS is different) as on the other computers, you should see a
change.

"MB" wrote in message
OK...forget that I even mentioned printing I've even changed the

subject
line

How do I get this computer to display Word documents like all of my other
computers?

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

That was my next suggestion. :-)

--

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MB

OK, NOW I get it, sorry for being so DENSE....

I'm sure that it will come as no surprise to any of you that I do NOT have a
printer driver installed on this computer

I'm guessing that that will solve the problem, I will post back either way.

Thanks (all).

"MB" wrote in message
OK...forget that I even mentioned printing I've even changed the

subject
line

How do I get this computer to display Word documents like all of my other
computers?

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

That was my next suggestion. :-)

--

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MB

PROBLEM SOLVED

THANKS (ALL)

"MB" wrote in message
OK...forget that I even mentioned printing I've even changed the

subject
line

How do I get this computer to display Word documents like all of my other
computers?

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

That was my next suggestion. :-)

--

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, without a printer driver, Word is really working without a net. In
previous versions, you might have found it much less cooperative (some
versions would invariably crash if started without a printer driver).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What Word displays is what it would print if you were to print using the
currently selected driver (that's what WYSIWYG means). If you will

follow
Jay's suggestion and install the same printer driver (or as close as you

can
get if the OS is different) as on the other computers, you should see a
change.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"MB" wrote in message
OK...forget that I even mentioned printing I've even changed the

subject
line

How do I get this computer to display Word documents like all of my

other
computers?

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

That was my next suggestion. :-)