Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pieter

Default How do I number a list out of sequence?

I need to number 'requirements' and the numbers must increment as they are
added. E.g.:
REQ1: ABC
REQ2: DEF
REQ50: ZZZ
REQ3: GHI
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

How are you inserting these numbers?
The most logical way would be to insert SEQ fields - something along the
lines of
REQ{SEQ REQ}:
Save the sequence and its associated text (as a formatted autocorrect entry)
and replace the REQ entries with this sequence.
Depending on how you have inserted the numbers, you may be able to use the
replace function to replace them with the field copied to the clipboard.
Whenever you want to add an entry insert a new line at the appropriate place
and insert the autocorrect entry.
The SEQ fields so inserted will not *automatically* update. To update them
the simplest method is to use an update macro attached to a toolbar button -
see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for suitable code or select
all (CTRL+A then F9 to update).

Pieter wrote:
I need to number 'requirements' and the numbers must increment as
they are added. E.g.:
REQ1: ABC
REQ2: DEF
REQ50: ZZZ
REQ3: GHI
.
.
i.e. I have added requirement 50 after requirement 49, but its
position is after requirment 2.
Thanks