Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janice Janice is offline

Default "mail merge" disappeared from "tools" menu

Hey all.
I use ms word 2000's mail merge to print address labels for a newsletter.
But for the past couple of months the "mail merge" option has disappeared
from the "tools" menu. A couple of times I was able to get it back by doing a
"system restore", but this time it's not working; maybe because I can't
remember the date when I printed the labels last month.
When I do a "customize" under "tools", I can see "mail merge" in the
categories, but it's only the "commands" that I can drag to the "tools" menu.
The suggestions I've received, and tried, and haven't worked a check the
"tool bars" in the "view" menu, but "mail merge" is not there; open a
previously done "mail merge" file and see where that goes (silly me, I never
saved any.); and re-install word.
I hope this post isn't too long, but I wanted to tell all of my experience.
I'm at the point of typing 87 names and address and that doesn't sound
appealing. Ugh!
Thanks. And I'll try any suggestions anyone has. Janice
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm

janice wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janice Janice is offline

Hi, Graham:

Thanks for you information.

I exported the Data files from the registry to the desktop, then cancelled
the Data files, closed the registry and opened Word - still no Mail Merge. So
I imported the Data files, but it didn't show up when I checked the registry.
OOPS!

I then did a system restore as far back as I could, which was April 6th. It
tool at least 45 minutes to complete (wonder why it took so long?) BUT, when
I checked the registry, the Data files were back and when I opened Word, Mail
Merge was there and I was able to print my labels. This time I saved them.

I have a feeling this will happen again, so if you have any other
suggestions, I would be appreciative.

Thanks. Janice