Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristy Walker Kristy Walker is offline

Default contacting the server for information

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom P. Tom P. is offline

I'm having the same problem, and you didn't answer the question. We don't
want to have to wait for 20 seconds while Word stupidly "contacts the
server," we just want to paste plain text without having to wait. In order
for him to select the "entire the entire pasted portion and press
Ctrl+Shift+F9" we have to wait 20 seconds for Word to paste it. This is
unacceptable.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The pasted text probably includes links that need to be broken. Select the
entire pasted portion and press Ctrl+Shift+F9.

"Kristy Walker" Kristy wrote in message
I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep getting
the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I need
any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Suzanne answered the question asked. Yours is a different but related issue.
Use edit paste special unformatted text.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The pasted text probably includes links that need to be broken.
Select the entire pasted portion and press Ctrl+Shift+F9.

"Kristy Walker" Kristy wrote in
message ...
I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop
this? I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Saleem Saleem is offline

Hi Guys,

I have got quiet a few documents that when I open say "Contacting \\192....
for Information". I have tried installing a local printer as well as
CTRL+SHIFT+F9 but nothing happens. What's the probable cause and solution.

Regards

Saleem

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The pasted text probably includes links that need to be broken.
Select the entire pasted portion and press Ctrl+Shift+F9.

"Kristy Walker" Kristy wrote in
message ...
I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop
this? I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Strong Robert Strong is offline

Is there a value somewhere located in the registry that stores a "timeout"
value for this error?

I have been able to generate some VB code to go through thousands of
documents and switch the template back to Normal.dot instead of a sever-side
template. The only problem is, Word's timeout value takes to long to timeout
once a document is opened. If it was set to 1 sec, then that would be
reasonable to deal with, but 60 secs+, 120 secs+ tests my patience.

I was referred to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823372/ but 1) I have XP
SP2 installed, and the registry modification failed to do anything, even with
complete reboot.

So, does anyone have a suggestion? I'm using Word 2003, XP SP2. I would
rather have this fixed, so I don't have to face-pace my Word 2007 migration.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The pasted text probably includes links that need to be broken.
Select the entire pasted portion and press Ctrl+Shift+F9.

"Kristy Walker" Kristy wrote in
message ...
I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop
this? I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TonyK TonyK is offline

Are you serious that Microsoft hasn't found an issue for this yet? SO MANY
PEOPLE HAVE THIS ISSUE!!!. Search some threads on the internet, and NO it
is NOT an acceptable solution to paste just text, when sometimes we need the
formatting from the websites. PLEASE help fix this problem!.

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Maples Julian Maples is offline

That is not a solution when one is trying copy graphics into Word. Frankly
that is (was) my only reason for paying for Word 2007.

Julian Maples

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep getting
the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I need
any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For graphics, instead of Copy/Paste, right-click the graphic and choose Save
Picture As. Then insert the saved picture from your HD using Insert |
Picture. This has the advantage that if anything goes wrong with the
document, you still have the picture saved externally in a proper graphic
format.

http://word.mvps.org

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep
getting
the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do
not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I
need
any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
beth2000 beth2000 is offline

Suzanne, I know you're trying to help, but this problem with the pasting in
Word for me just started in the last week or so. I've had this version of
Word for the better part of two years and I've never had issues with this
thing of having to "Paste Special" instead of just pasting with no stalling
of the program to do this "contacting the server" thing. So this is not just
some aspect of the program and it has been there all along.

In thinking about it, I suspect that MS has changed something in its
updates, probably for security or anti-piracy sake, but whatever it is now
had the unintended consequence (or intended) of interrupting every one of
these actions that involves cutting and pasting.

That is why I kind of don't buy into this idea that you are promoting that
this is just a normal thing that was always in Word 2007 and it is operating
just the way MS intended it to. It is not operating the way it was
originally intended, and I really resent having to deal with this extra step
to paste something. This is an issue I also have with MS, that it pulls
these kind of things and then doesn't own up to their part in the matter and
tries to act like it is helping and it is users that just don't understand
the product of don't know how to use it.

It is unacceptable that a user has to go through a big production like this
in order to do a simple operation.

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep getting
the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I need
any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
beth2000 beth2000 is offline

I want to add this, it is not about pasting hyperlinks, I just was working on
my paper, and the paste problem is regardless of what is being pasted. The
more I think about it, I'll bet this is about anti-piracy; I would suggest
that MS is working on ways to make copy and paste harder willing to go
through a long period of transition in order to make it eventually so that no
content can be used without having to pay for it.

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep getting
the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I need
any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Maples[_2_] Julian Maples[_2_] is offline

Well said, Beth.

Suzanne, if you don't know the answer, please find the guy who does. There
will be someone in Msft who knows and these are your customers. Marketing
will tell you that it is even better to spend effort to keep existing
customers than try to get new ones. Compare the efforts you are making with
the amount spent on advertising.

I agree with Beth that this is a very recent problem. I too have been
enjoying Word 2007's superior (to Word 2003) pasting abilities enabling me to
create proper and complete files on subjects for some time now.

Some commentators on other sites say that this problem can be solved by
deleting and causing Word to re-create normal.dot files. i.e. that this
problem is caused by corrupted normal.dot files. This used to be an issue in
earlier versions of Word.

I have searched for normal.dot files but can only find a normal.dotm file.
Perhaps that is because I am runnning Vista?

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep getting
the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I need
any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Julian, two points:

- Neither Suzanne nor anyone else here is a Microsoft employee. We're all
users helping users, not product support or marketing. The MVP tag is an
award, not a job title (http://mvp.support.microsoft.com).

- The file normal.dotm is to Word 2007 what normal.dot was to earlier
versions. It has nothing to do with being on Vista or any other operating
system. And yes, it still may get corrupted, and renaming or moving it
(preferable to deleting it, if you want to copy customizations from it) and
restarting Word is still the way to get a clean template.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this?
I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Maples Julian Maples is offline

Thank you Jay and apologies to Suzanne. I am afraid I assumed that you were
Msft employees as this is a Mft site.

How does one ask a question of a Msft employee who knows?

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this?
I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Maples Julian Maples is offline

Thanks, Suzanne. In what other area do you buy something and then pay to have
the seller put it right?

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this?
I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have recently purchased two different irons, both of which have an
automatic shutoff feature. I actually lost considerable money on the first
iron by purchasing it on sale and returning it when it wasn't on sale and
then ending up buying the same model at a higher price. The reason I
returned it was that it didn't come on when I turned it on, unless I
unplugged it and replugged it. I later discovered that in order to get it to
come on, I had to waggle it up and down (the motion required to reactivate
it when it had automatically shut off).

The second iron has a reset button that "wakes it up" when it has shut off
automatically. Unfortunately, I have to use this button every time I turn
the iron on, even though I manually turned it off (it didn't shut off
automatically).

I think this design is insane, but it is evidently the way all these irons
work. They all seem to be made in the same factory in China with
different-colored plastic and different labels slapped on.

I'm not happy about this design, but I have learned to live with it. My
expectation of "tech support" is nil, and my expectation that my complaints
would result in a redesign of the irons is even lower.

You may think this is irrelevant, but it *is* a real-world example of a
product that doesn't meet expectations and users have no recourse but to
accept its limitations. There aren't (apparently) even any competitors whose
products work differently.

The first iron was replaced because it overheated and "melted" synthetics
onto its supposedly nonstick surface. If I had done minimal online research
before purchasing it, I would have discovered this flaw (and in fact I did
read numerous unfavorable reviews and still ended up buying the same model a
second time because its features still seemed to me superior to those of the
other models on offer). The second iron is not as "deluxe," but at least it
doesn't destroy my garments or itself. g

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Julian, two points:

- Neither Suzanne nor anyone else here is a Microsoft employee. We're
all
users helping users, not product support or marketing. The MVP tag is
an
award, not a job title (http://mvp.support.microsoft.com).

- The file normal.dotm is to Word 2007 what normal.dot was to earlier
versions. It has nothing to do with being on Vista or any other
operating
system. And yes, it still may get corrupted, and renaming or moving it
(preferable to deleting it, if you want to copy customizations from
it)
and
restarting Word is still the way to get a clean template.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I
keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the
document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this?
I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Maples Julian Maples is offline

Suzanne, I am sorry to hear about your irons but you seem to have done the
right thing and things have panned out as one would expect. When the first
iron didn't work properly and damaged your washing, you returned it. In the
course of that you must have a conversation with the retailer (I guess) free
of charge when you explained the fault and he accepted the return.

I purchased the Word 2007 software from Msft and it is not working anymore
as it should. And I ma now trying to have the same converation which you had
over your iron. I have visited a Msft site and firstly wrongly assumed I was
talking to Msft. You have said that in order to do that I must pay. You
didn't have to pay to have that conversation over your iron. Why should I pay
to have it with Msft?

(The position with your second iron is different. It is working as designed.
My Word 2007 is not working as designed.)

Julian

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I
keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the
document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this?
I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You misunderstood me. I returned the first iron because I thought it wasn't
working correctly (not because it damaged my washing). There was nothing in
the user's manual to suggest that it would be necessary to "reactivate" the
iron upon turning it on. The iron was purchased from Wal-Mart; the return
was accepted with no questions asked (though I did describe the problem). I
later discovered that there was actually nothing wrong with the iron at all
(the second one behaved exactly the same way), just with my understanding of
the way it worked. When I bought the third iron (second model), it became
apparent that this design is universal.

My conversation with the retailer (such as it was) would be comparable to
your having the same conversation with the vendor of your software--the
vendor, not the manufacturer. I have not attempted to contact the
manufacturer of either of the irons. If I did, I would expect the exchange
to be just as unsatisfactory as your attempt to contact MS. It appears that
this odd behavior of "automatic shutoff" is true across all brands, and I
will just have to get used to it even though I consider it ridiculous.

As for working as designed, I'm not sure why you assume that Word 2007 is
NOT working as designed.

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I
keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the
document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop
this?
I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Maples Julian Maples is offline

1. The product is not working as designed becauae, as is the case for others
who have posted to your website, the inabaility to paste anything other than
plain text has only just developed. Do you not expect Word 2007 to paste more
than plain text?

2. In my case Msft is not only the manufacturuer of the product but also the
retailer.

3. If you do not work for Msft, why are you defending them?

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I
keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the
document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop
this?
I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm just not seeing the same problem you are. I can paste from Web pages
into Word 2007 without issue. Can you give me an example of a Web page whose
content causes this problem? What SP level do you have applied to Word 2007?
Have you in fact tried renaming Normal.dotm, as was suggested earlier in
this thread?

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word.
keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the
document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop
this?
I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason Jason is offline

I think I only started to experience this problem after installing SP1 for
Word 2007.

And after I have hit paste, Word never comes back from the "contacting
server .." status message. I have to kill it.

Pasting as unformatted text is no good, because it omits images.

Does Microsoft have bugzilla or jira or *anything* where bugs such as this
can be reported and we can see what they are doing about them?

In the meantime, I am pasting into OpenOffice. Grrrr....

... Jason
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
New Thought New Thought is offline

FYI - I tried cutting and pasting the entire MS Word document from the
problem file into a new one and saving it - "contacting server" message
disappeared.

Give it a go.

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this?
I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
New Thought[_2_] New Thought[_2_] is offline

(I thought I would reply directly to you to attempt to notify someone on this
thread)

FYI - I tried cutting and pasting the entire MS Word document from the
problem file into a new one and saving it - "contacting server" message
disappeared.

I kept the source formatting, and it worked on several documents for me. I
am using XP SP2 and MS Office 2007 SP 2.

Give it a go.

"Jason" wrote:

I think I only started to experience this problem after installing SP1 for
Word 2007.

And after I have hit paste, Word never comes back from the "contacting
server .." status message. I have to kill it.

Pasting as unformatted text is no good, because it omits images.

Does Microsoft have bugzilla or jira or *anything* where bugs such as this
can be reported and we can see what they are doing about them?

In the meantime, I am pasting into OpenOffice. Grrrr....

.. Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Feldhamer Mark Feldhamer is offline

Your problem may be from a template that resided on another server. If so,
here's the solution for word 2007:

1) Select the windows icon at the top left corner of Word
2) Select the "Word Options" button in the bottom of the menu page
3) On the Word Options screen, select "Add-Ins" from the left menu
4) At the bottom of the Add-Ins screen, in the "Manage" drop down, select
"Templates" and hit the "Go" button.
5) If the document template points to the other server, blank out that field
and hit the "OK" button.

I hope that helps!

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sirka sirka is offline

Cause: misformed mail signature or misformed html code in received email
Solution: reformat mail signature or remove it (if you are the sender), or
if you are not the sender, either contact the sender or read that message in
your webmail (instead of Outlook) and delete it from there.

In case you want to look for root case, check the mail html source for (most
probably) IMG tags, that are leading to some non-existing or inaccessible
locations, such as shared network folders on someone elses company intranet.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EdK EdK is offline

Suzanne, it is now more than a year since your last reply to this thread.
I've tried 'shift-control-F9' but that didn't work ... then I tried 'pasting
special/unformatted text' and it worked. But I wonder if Microsoft has
actually made a fix to this problem as it is quite vexing ...

"beth2000" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sometimes, contents copied from a web page has too complex formatting for Word.
Pasting as plain text will fix that, as you have noticed. If necessary, you can
download images separately, by right-clicking them and choosing Save Target As
(or something similar, depending on which browser you are using).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP