KGlennC

Default Why won't Microsoft develop method for all fractions?

I notice a LOT of questions in this Discussion Group regarding needing the
ability to create fractions - not the basic fractions, but others, such as
3/16, 1/12, etc. Third-party fonts are not the answer; I've purchased several.

I own an engineering related company and our documents look unprofessional
in that if not all fractions can be displayed in the basic fraction format,
then I use the "full-size" format (e.g., 3/16).

One of Microsoft's suggestions discusses recipes; another recommends using
Equation Editor (very, very time consuming, cumersome and does not return
characters consistent with document font).

Just my $0.02.
Bob Mathews

On 25-Feb-2005, wrote:

I own an engineering related company and our documents
look unprofessional in that if not all fractions can be
displayed in the basic fraction format, then I use the "full-
size" format (e.g., 3/16).

One of Microsoft's suggestions discusses recipes; another
recommends using Equation Editor (very, very time
consuming, cumersome and does not return characters
consistent with document font).

Glenn, Equation Editor (EE) returns characters in whatever font
you set it up for. With EE active, the menus on Word's menu bar
aren't Word menus any more; they're EE menus. With EE open,
select Style Define, and set up the fonts to match your
document fonts. Keep in mind that these styles must be set to
Symbol font: Symbol, LC Greek, & UC Greek. Similarly, select Size
Define, and set the Full size to match your document's font

size. Set the rest of the sizes in percent values. I recommend
these values: 58%, 45%, 150%, and 100%, respectively, from top to
bottom after full-size. Be sure to include the % symbol. Setting
these values to percent values allows you to change your font
size by changing only the Full size value.

You can also program as many fractions as you want into Word's
AutoCorrect feature. Obviously there is an infinite number of
fractions, and you can't include them all in AC, but I'm sure
there are many that you use most often. On our web site, we have
a tutorial on doing this:
http://www.dessci.com/en/support/tut...t/tutorial.htm.
This tutorial specifically discusses MathType, the professional
version of EE, but much of what the tutorial discusses can be
done with EE.
--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training 830-990-9699
KGlennC

Neither option is that realistic.

But, I did find a solution elsewhere in this Discussion Group that APPEARS
to work and is very easy to use once you've developed the Macro and added it
to the Toolbar. See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Insert_For..._Fractions.htm

If I can do it (after finding where someone else did it), then Microsoft
could add the same capability/function to its products very, very easily,
thereby ensuring document compatability for all users. Not sure why Microsoft
forces a user to jump through hoops using EE or adding a zillion AutoCorrect
entries. Apparently, Microsoft doesn't think engineering-related enties are
that important, only cooks and their recipes.

/rant