Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hans

Default Header Footer Problems

I am struggling mightily to get Headers/Footers in a Word template to work:

To start with a clean slate (I inherited the template), I first cleared all
connections between headers/footers throughout this multi-section template.
Next, I attempted to re-apply unique Header/Footer Page Setup attributes to
the first two Sections' footer. However, for the third Section, Word
over-rides the attributes I applied to previous Sections mere moments prior.

For example, I am trying to set up Section 1 to have no difference between
Odd/Even header/footers and no connection to subsequent header/footers; I
then try to set up Section 2 to also have no difference between Odd/Even
pages as well as no connection to other header/footers. I apply these
attributes with "This Section Only" checked off in the dialog box.

However, when I set up Section 3 to have different Odd/Even header/footers,
detached from any prior Sections, Word goes BACK to Sections 1 and 2 and
applies the SAME "different odd/even" attributes, even though I just set
these Sections up to NOT have them.

Thank you for any instruction/guidance,

-Hans in Seattle USA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can enabled "Different first page" for a single section, but "Different
odd and even" always applies to the entire document. You can put the same
text in the Odd Page Footer and Even Page Footer. To break the link between
sections, turn off the Same as Previous/Link to Previous button on the
Header and Footer toolbar.