Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rjgreer

Default Find and Replace degree symbol

When I copy some things from the net to Word, I get a lot of what appear to
be degree symbols before words. How can I use Find and Replace to replace
these? I don't know how to put the degree symbol in the first line in Find
and Replace.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Copy it from the body of the document and paste it into the Find box.

You can enter a degree symbol using Alt-0176, but the character you are
seeing might well be something else.

"rjgreer" wrote in message
When I copy some things from the net to Word, I get a lot of what appear
be degree symbols before words. How can I use Find and Replace to replace
these? I don't know how to put the degree symbol in the first line in Find
and Replace.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you're seeing is Word's representation of a nonbreaking space. HTML
doesn't respect multiple ordinary spaces; it just treats all strings of
spaces as a single space unless the additional ones are nonbreaking spaces.
Consequently, people who want two spaces between sentences, for example,
have to use one nonbreaking space. Word documents pasted to the Web do this
automatically (and tab characters are also converted to strings of
nonbreaking spaces). For more on the representation of nonprinting
characters, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

"rjgreer" wrote in message
When I copy some things from the net to Word, I get a lot of what appear

be degree symbols before words. How can I use Find and Replace to replace
these? I don't know how to put the degree symbol in the first line in Find
and Replace.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Unless you specifically want to preserve the fonts and formatting you are
copying, you can avoid all the strange characters by using Paste Special,
and selecting text or unformatted text.

"rjgreer" wrote in message
When I copy some things from the net to Word, I get a lot of what appear
be degree symbols before words. How can I use Find and Replace to replace
these? I don't know how to put the degree symbol in the first line in Find
and Replace.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rjgreer

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the document you referred to, and found
that by entering Ctrtl-Shift-Spacebar into the Find What space, the symbol
showed up, and by putting nothing in the Replace With space, it got rid of
all the symbols.
Thanks again.

"rjgreer" wrote in message
When I copy some things from the net to Word, I get a lot of what appear

be degree symbols before words. How can I use Find and Replace to replace
these? I don't know how to put the degree symbol in the first line in Find
and Replace.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's one way; you can also search for ^s (Word's code for a nonbreaking
space).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What you're seeing is Word's representation of a nonbreaking space. HTML
doesn't respect multiple ordinary spaces; it just treats all strings of
spaces as a single space unless the additional ones are nonbreaking

spaces.
Consequently, people who want two spaces between sentences, for example,
have to use one nonbreaking space. Word documents pasted to the Web do

this
automatically (and tab characters are also converted to strings of
nonbreaking spaces). For more on the representation of nonprinting
characters, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.