Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WOLLAM WOLLAM is offline

Default Saving in My Documents

It seems every time I search for a .doc I find two copies of several
documents: one copy where I 'Saved As', one copy in the My Documents folder.
Is there a shortcut to eliminate these extra 'My Documents' copies?
Additionally, is there a way to avoid this in the future? It doesn't seem to
happen too often with my Excel files. Thank you in advance for any and all
help.
Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you save an already saved document somewhere else using SaveAs then of
course you will have two copies. The one you saved as and the original - or
are you describing something else?.

WOLLAM wrote:
It seems every time I search for a .doc I find two copies of several
documents: one copy where I 'Saved As', one copy in the My Documents
folder. Is there a shortcut to eliminate these extra 'My Documents'
copies? Additionally, is there a way to avoid this in the future? It
doesn't seem to happen too often with my Excel files. Thank you in
advance for any and all help.
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WOLLAM WOLLAM is offline

No, these are not, to the best of knowledge, documents I had previously saved
in My Documents. I just saved a test .doc and then ran a search. Her are
the locations of the test file:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Taxes ('Taxes' is the 'Saved As'
folder)
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Recent
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent
Thanks for your help,
Dan

WOLLAM wrote:
It seems every time I search for a .doc I find two copies of several
documents: one copy where I 'Saved As', one copy in the My Documents
folder. Is there a shortcut to eliminate these extra 'My Documents'
copies? Additionally, is there a way to avoid this in the future? It
doesn't seem to happen too often with my Excel files. Thank you in
advance for any and all help.
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The recent entries are merely links to the file. There is only one copy of
the document.
Windows continuously stores all sorts of information about your activities
both on disc and in the registry. This is not a function of Word, but of
Windows. To what extent you can control what is saved, you can ask in a
Windows Forum, but it is probably easier to clear out the recent folders now
and again.

WOLLAM wrote:
It seems every time I search for a .doc I find two copies of several
documents: one copy where I 'Saved As', one copy in the My Documents
folder. Is there a shortcut to eliminate these extra 'My Documents'
copies? Additionally, is there a way to avoid this in the future?
It doesn't seem to happen too often with my Excel files. Thank you
in advance for any and all help.
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WOLLAM WOLLAM is offline

Thanks Graham. I'll work on the Recent folder for now. If I need more
assistance I'll head over to the Windows forum.
Dan

WOLLAM wrote:
It seems every time I search for a .doc I find two copies of several
documents: one copy where I 'Saved As', one copy in the My Documents
folder. Is there a shortcut to eliminate these extra 'My Documents'
copies? Additionally, is there a way to avoid this in the future?
It doesn't seem to happen too often with my Excel files. Thank you
in advance for any and all help.
Dan

saving documents Topsed Microsoft Word Help 2 December 22nd 05 05:04 PM
Saving Word documents Peturpin Microsoft Word Help 4 July 19th 05 02:46 PM
Saving documents Gozz New Users 1 April 28th 05 02:16 AM
Saving Documents Lou Microsoft Word Help 1 March 1st 05 02:19 AM
Saving Documents Charles Microsoft Word Help 1 December 17th 04 04:33 PM